Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maya's gone another dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Mar 24, 2011.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

So here's what happened, Maya attacked her dog along time ago. I apologized and from then on we avoided each other. Her dog is a mentally ill and epileptic chocolate lab, she broke the skin but the dog didn't need a vet.

Today and quite lately noticed them in the field, I went another way but really couldn't avoid her, well her dogs (she has two chocolate labs) were both off lead and Maya was on lead, I shortened her lead and went to move away as I saw him coming. She did not call her dog back and he came towards Maya and Maya lunged at him, she caught him but I managed to pull her away before a fight could happen, again she had nicked him.

It ended up in a heated argument of her saying it's my fault and that i'm in the wrong because my dog attacked her. I kept my dog on lead and now she's trying to use the I feel threatened thing and saying she'll call the police. She said she can get statements from other people whose dogs she's attacked (but it's been over a year since any incident has happened) and will call the police.

She first wanted me to muzzle Maya at all times, which I refuse but we came to some agreement that when I see her, i'll muzzle Maya. Maya gets on great with almost every other dog down the park now, the only other ones are a kelpie who hates her first & a rottie x shep who is moody with pretty much every dog.

I go training classes with her every week, I put her onlead anytime I see a dog I don't know/am unsure of or know she dosen't get along with that dog. I work hard with her all the time.

She's told me other dogs go for her dog because he's weak, trainers and vets have told her this.

Surely it's not just my fault but hers too? She knows what Maya is like an still allowed her dogs to approach her :(

I'm going to muzzle her anyway when I see this woman but if the dogs are offlead and she still lunges, is that my fault?

2. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

If your dog was on the lead and under your full control and the other dogs were off the lead, your dog is NOT at fault, end of story.

Have heard this so many times, and can catagorically say the above is true, as I have had the pleasure of attending Seminars with Trevor Cooper speaking, considered to be the UK DOG LAW legal expert. He is a lovely guy and has helped a few people out in similar situations. ;)

3. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

I was told by the dog warden that the police will only get involved if a dog bites a human. Dog on dog they dont get involved in, thats for the dog warden to deal with.
    As far as I'm concerned if you had Maya on leash and her dog came running over to yours then they were in the wrong.

4. SpringerHusky

This was what i've always been told that if a dog is attacked by an on lead dog then the owner of the dog off lead is to blame.

5. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Yep i would say it was her fault too, Especially as she knew they didnt get on x

6. xhuskyloverx

xhuskyloverx PetForums VIP

Yep i think the same as everyone else, can't see how she can blame you tbh. Her dog was not under control and she should have called her dogs back when she saw you.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Are you sure she isn't mental! :scared:
    How STUPID must you be, to let your dog run up to a dog you KNOW doesn't like it :confused:

I always say, people start getting defensive when they are in the wrong, and it sounds like she knew she was. If she knows and has been told her dog gets attacked for these reasons then unless it has a solid 110% recall it should NOT be off lead. Stupid woman.

8. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

I'd say as Maya was on a lead and the other dog wasn't, with the owner knowing full well that they don't get on, i'd say you were not at fault.

Has Maya had behavioural help, as it seems she has done this a couple of times before?

9. SpringerHusky

Yes :eek: i've had her almost 3 years and have had a very long and hard struggle with her, She's about to take her bronze kennel club test next week too. I always take her dog training and always work with her.

10. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

Aww sounds like she has come on a long way :) Well done, and keep up the work. Good luck for the test and let's hope the other owner realises you weren't at fault.

11. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

I don't see how she can say it's your fault when you had Maya on a lead with you when her dog was offlead and wandering around. In my opinion if she knows that some other dogs pick up on the fact her dog is weak and will possible attack it then I would have thought for her dog's safety it would be wise for her to keep hers on a lead when other dogs are about.

Some people!!

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I know someone whose dog was attacked years ago by a rottie. They went to the police and were told if they tried to take the rottie owner to court then the rottie owner could counter sue as their dog was on a lead and my friends dog was off its lead.

If Maya was on her lead she would be seen to be under control it was her dog that approached Maya and she knowing that they don't get on should have recalled her dog. If she takes it any further and goes to the police and they speak to you I would tell them your dog was under control on its lead and you felt threatened by the fact her dog was loose and knowing it did not like Maya.

I often tell people who let their loose dogs approach mine when they are on the lead that their dogs will get bitten one day and it will be no ones fault other than their own.

13. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

She hasn't a leg to stand on hun so please don't go worrying or upsetting yourself over it, SHE KNEW you were there and she still didn't put her dog on a lead and let her dog come over to yours so it is her OWN fault. :rolleyes::

14. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Try and speak to the male dig warden he's very good, it's her fault your dig was on a lead her wasn't end of story

15. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

With respect, I think there is also responsibility on your part too. You have a dog that is a known biter and yet you are walking it unmuzzled in an area with loose dogs, despite the fact it has bitten other dogs. I'm thinking of the other dogs here -- they do not deserve to be hurt by your dog because their owner isn't capable of recalling them.

Legally you are not responsible but morally I would have to question your stance on the matter. It is unrealistic to expect dogs to never approach you if you are walking through an area where people let their dogs off lead. Stable dogs are sociable animals and it is is completely normal for them to want to greet other dogs. The dog that suffers as a result of your dog biting them is the victim at the end of the day.

16. SpringerHusky

I reccomend you read everything I have posted.

Maya has not gone for another dog in over a year, she gets on fine with every dog, this is the first incident in a very long time. She has never lunged after another dog while being on lead, this is the first case. All previous incidents have been with her offlead.

Watch these videos
    [youtube_browser]LpO27BmioJs[/youtube_browser]
    This was taken out at Cann woods with a friend of mine and her eight dogs. I muzzled Maya in this video as this was very early into the walk and to keep things safe I felt best to muzzle her, although she usually gets on fine sometimes the excitement can rile the dogs up. Some of the others dogs are muzzled because of various things from poop eating to winding each other up.

[youtube_browser]58hPyQ25LIY[/youtube_browser]
    This is later on and Maya's muzzle has been removed, as you can see she's perfectly fine with them all. I'm very pleased I can prove she's not dog aggressive but simply misunderstood.

She had only met maybe 3/4 of these dogs before and had defiantly never been on a walk with them.

So you tell me if my dog is dog aggressive and needs to be muzzled?

#16 SpringerHusky, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  17. SpringerHusky

I've spoken to the female dog warden Julie, who i've known for years (and been a great help) she too has told me i'm in the right.

18. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

1,2,3,4,5,....I feel wet stinging nettles coming on again

19. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

She may not be "dog aggressive" in the sense of wanting to attack every dog she comes across, but if she has bitten and gone for other dogs in the past, you cannot deny she has an issue with them.

Not having gone for a dog in over a year doesn't mean anything; shes done it in the past so she'll do it again, as proven today. A dog who is unpredictable around other dogs will always be unpredictable.

To protect other dogs (it is NOT their fault their owner cannot recall or train them better), it makes sense for all parties involved for a dog that is unpredictable to be muzzled.

20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Then you would probably end up muzzling all dogs the as they can all be unpredictable to a degree.

I think the fact that Maya was on a lead & hasn't had an incident for ayear does not warrant a muzzle. Surely the owner off the off lead dogs should leash her dogs around Maya rather than Maya being muzzled when she is the one under control

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice