Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

May buy a kitten but want some opinions/advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by speedy2056, Aug 21, 2013.

1. speedy2056

speedy2056 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

it's my first post here but I really need some advice. I know somebody who has eight kittens and I have my eye on a particular one but there are two issues.

1. I learned from the owner that their mother has upped and left it's kittens. My mother thinks that the mummy cat may have been a feral type as she thinks it left too early. The kittens at present are seven weeks old.

2. We don't know how to tell a male from a female. The owner had a book and it told us how we could tell but it was still very difficult. Is there any other way?

Thanks.

2. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

often you can tell the sex by the colours of the kittens, but its no 100% accurate, like torties are usually female and gingers are more likely to be male, but this isn't 100% like I said and it is best to check their bits

7 weeks is still very young and ideally a kitten needs to be with their mum till at least 12 weeks

3. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

A 7 week kitten has not been fully socialized and may not be litter-trained. Like S&L said, they should stay with their mother till they are at least 12 weeks old. The owners really should try their very, very best to get the mother to take care of the kittens for another 5 weeks.

4. Shadow And Lightning

its possible mum cat came in to heat and off to get pregnant again, can happen im told.

5. speedy2056

speedy2056 PetForums Newbie

Yes, I thought it was a little early for them to be letting them go. What happened was the female owner started feeding this strange cat and she began to adopt it as it kept coming back. Then it got pregnant and she has been left with it's babies. The mother cat has been gone for a number of weeks!

That is why I am wondering if it was a feral mother cat. As for the sex of them, I guess I'll have to do some more research on that. I already have a female cat and I don't want a male cat to spray everywhere here.

6. Shadow And Lightning

provided you get him neutered early enough he shouldn't spray I have three females 7 males and only one has ever sprayed and that was a female I took in when she was about 5

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice