Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Max is home!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ellie.p, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

We went to pick up our kitten today! :D:D:D He's been home for about twenty minutes now, and has been doing a little exploring.

He sniffed at me a bit when he came out, but didn't want to come too close. He was very friendly at his breeder's house, so I'm just putting this down to getting used to a new house! :) I don't want to rush him at all.

He's currently hiding behind the sofa, which he picked almost at once as his cosy hiding spot!

I just crouched down to check on him, and I think he's falling asleep! :p My only concern is that there are a couple of wires running behind the sofa that we couldn't cover, and while I'm pretty confident he won't nibble them, he looks like he might be getting a bit tangled up.

Considering this, do you think it's best to leave him where he is to come out in his own time, or try and coax him out of there?

I think it's best to leave him for now (I'll be checking on him every so often), but with the wires I'm not sure :S

Thank you all for your help and advice so far, we wouldn't have got to this stage without you! :)

Pictures to follow once he gets a bit more confident of us!

-Ellie

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

My new kitty is coming home next Saturday. The excitement is unbearable I must say!! :) I haven't had an 8 week old kitten since I was a little girl. Anyway, I have another cat in the house so subject to him no being too stressed when he gets here, I am going to give him free roam with my other cat. She is very tolerant so she will mother him no doubt. :) I hope to see piccies sooooon!! :)

3. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Ooh, that's wonderful! I know, we were so excited too :D I know it's silly, but I could barely sleep last night ;) This is our first so it's all new territory! Hope all goes well with your kitty and introducing him to your girl!

Max is now fast asleep behind the sofa. I'm checking on him every so often to make sure he's still okay, but I'm not going to rush or crowd him. I'm sure he'll be out soon!

4. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Cherish the alone time because for the next 15+ years you won't get any. :) He will follow you everywhere :) Can't wait for pics :)

5. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Just one little pic of him as he is right now - asleep behind the sofa.

You can probably see why I'm concerned about the wires, he looks a bit tangled up as it is. But I suppose cats are a lot smarter than we give them credit for! ;) I'm sure he'll find his way out fine.

I went down to check on him and banged my head against the bottom of the table (it's the only way to see behind there! :p). He woke up at the noise, looked at me for a second as if to say, "Stop disturbing my nap." and settled right back down. So he seems relaxed at least. :D

Attached Files:

#5 ellie.p, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. jo1234

jo1234 PetForums Member

He's beautiful and looks quite relaxed! They just like to find a wee safe spot at first! He will come out when he's ready!

I remember when we first got our kitten he hid behind our bed for nearly 12 hours - I was so worried about him but he was just shy! Now he's the boss of the house and follows us about everywhere!!:)

7. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Thanks for the reassurance! Hope it's not 12 hours for us though :p

8. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

he is gorgeous!!

:thumbup:

9. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Max is gorgeous!!! :) xx

10. MurphyMoo

MurphyMoo PetForums Member

Nawrr Soo Cute :) Had mine for a year or more now, seemed like i got him yesterday lol :)

11. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Thank you all :) We think he's gorgeous too!

He's still fast asleep behind the sofa, for about two hours now! I'm checking on him every 20 minutes or so to make sure he's still safe and asleep and not tangled up, but he's oblivious to it all :lol:

He's been behind there the whole time, so hasn't had any food or water yet, and hasn't used his litter tray either.

We're leaving him there for the time being - we assume he'll come out when he's hungry/thirsty. I think he knows there's food, as he sniffed it a bit when he first came out, so he should come out when he's ready.

If he still hasn't emerged in a few hours, we might try and coax him out if only to take a drink of water - it's not particularly hot in this room, but it is warm outside and he'll need a drink! We could also try moving his food and water bowls closer to his hiding spot for the time being.

:)

12. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :001_wub: he's purrrrrrrfect :) I would try & tidy the cables up though if he's anything like Louie was he'l be trying to do alsorts with them :rolleyes: very hard with wood flooring I know maybe those clips you nail into the cirtingboard or a cable tidy doda. We ended up haveing to buy a new wood unit for the tv etc because the glass shelf one was impossible to make safe at the back & Louie is fluffy enough already without added electricity :crazy: its our own fault forgot what kittens get up to :rolleyes: :lol:

13. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Yeah, we tidied most of the cables up but completely forgot about the ones behind the sofa. Figures that'd be the place he hides :lol:

He seems fine for now, once he gets out of his hiding place and settles down, we'll sort it all out!

14. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Dont forget more pics when he decides he's home :D

15. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

He's been there for about 3 hours now. Still hasn't come out, but it looks like he's woken up now. :)

We put his water down next to his hiding spot so he doesn't have to come out all the way to take a drink.

We're not worried about him being behind the sofa - we'd prefer he came out when he was ready - but think he should definitely have a drink - he had some food and water at his breeder's earlier, but that would have been at least 5 hours ago.

I don't know how long they can go without food or water, but I'd feel better if he at least had something!

16. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

He has come out! He's exploring now. I put his water bowl down next to him to see if I could tempt him, but he seemed a bit spooked, so I stepped back and am leaving him to it.

He has had a couple of pieces of dry food (we haven't offered wet yet) but so far no water. I am a bit happier knowing that he's eaten (even just a tiny bit) though :)

He's moving a bit quicker and seems more curious than nervous, as he did before.

He's fascinated by the fan, which has a shiny metal base that he can see himself in :D:D:D

17. aleexa

aleexa PetForums Junior

wonderful :) Max is gorgeous!:thumbup:

#17 aleexa, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  18. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Thank you!

He's had some wet food (about 1/4 Whiska's pouch, which is what he's used to) and a little dry food. Still no water, but at least he's had some wet food!

We've let him "loose" on the rest of the downstairs now, he's thoroughly explored all the rooms, but definitely knows which room is "his", and keeps coming back into it.

He's still a bit nervous of us, but lets us stroke him while he eats.

The one thing I am concerned about is that he hasn't used his litter tray yet. He had his first lot of wet food about 30mins ago, and is eating again now. He knows where it is, has sniffed it etc. but may not know exactly what it's for.

We picked him up at 11am, so has not done a poo or wee since before then.

Is this normal/okay?

19. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

my cats both waited quite awhile after arriving (nearly a day) before using the litter tray - i think they need to feel relaxed to go!!

20. ellie.p

ellie.p PetForums Junior

Good, that's definitely reassuring! :)

He's having a snooze in his carrier now - it seems to be where he feels safest ATM, probably because it has his scent is still there.

He let me have a good stroke while he was in there. He seemed very relaxed, but still not too confident.

And just as I said that my dad came home and started talking. Max immediately got out of his carrier and started walking around - I think he likes his deep voice!

He still hasn't drunk any water. He had a tiny lick when I presented his bowl to him, but just didn't seem interested.

We'll leave his dry food and his water out tonight when we go to bed. I think he might feel more relaxed eating/drinking/using his litter tray when we're not all there watching him :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice