Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Max is being a problem

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lottieb01, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Lottieb01

Lottieb01 PetForums Junior

I wonder if anyone can help.

My chiahauhaua X is proving to be a right little monkey at the moment. Everytime I walk out of the living room he jumps up and barks most times and barking at strangers outside is getting out of hand, has anyone got any ideas on how I can stop or at least tame this behaviour. I have tried teaching him not to do it but I think he is playing the ignorance is bliss card, HE JUST DOESN'T LISTEN TO ME.

I also have a staff X called Leo, and max always tries winding him up, biting the back of his legs ect, I love him so much but he is so naughty, any advice will be great. Thanks xxx

2. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Do you close the door on him?
    Is he a young dog?
    What training have you done with him?

3. Lottieb01

He is 3, It started mainly when I moved, he knows how to sit, lie down stay and all that but since moving now 2 years ago he seems to just not listen, he gets so excited sometimes he is like a whirlwind, no we don't close the door on him, he mainly does it just after the postman has come or he has seen someone outside

4. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

How often/how long do you walk him? could it be he's not getting enough exercise/mental stimulation so he finds these other fun things to do ? make sure he has toys and fun things to keep him busy while at home.

Try training him a 'quiet' command , when he barks, as soon as he stops even for a second immediately praise and treat (you need to get the timing perfect and make sure you don't praise while he is actually barking), keep doing this and then start adding a command to it, when he stops say 'quiet' or whichever word you like, and treat. he will start to learn that this command means be quiet and then you can start to use the command while he is actually barking to make him stop :)

You could also try a 'look at me' command , to teach him to look at you and to not look away until you say so, once you have got it strong enough you can then distract him away from anything and show him that paying attention to you = good things :)

Once you have these commands in place and well trained , you can then use them to train him out of going mental when he sees people outside, wait by the window with him and keep a lookout for people coming, be prepared so that the split second he looks - 'look at me!' treat, keep treating while he looks at you, if he looks back out the window quickly command again before he sets off. if he starts to bark use your quiet command - treat, then get him to look at you again - treat

I think you can see here the key is lots of small but high value treats (nice stinky smelly ones that he really loves!), and always always praise the good behaviour that you want, be very quick and precise with timing. it will take time and patience but you should get there in the end if you keep it up :)

Hope thats of some help! i have a yorkie who likes to bark at the postman and at people passing windows too and have found a solid 'quiet' command and a distraction command has worked really well :)

5. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

You beat me to it! :p Excellent advice.

6. Lottieb01

Thanks so much lil doglets, I will keep you updated :D

#6 Lottieb01, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice