Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mature students

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GillyR, Jun 9, 2010.

1. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Are there any on here?

How do you find it?

2. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

Aye :) I'm 27 and work full time....

It's hard going, I've had no social life for the past few months but it'll be worth it in the end. (at least another 2 years! :D )

What are you thinking of studying?

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

started back again this year and have just passed my return to study course... it helped me get me in the right frame of mind again. I have to admit the old brain cells dont fire as fast as they used to ;), but i found it really helpful in reminding me for things like essay writing, revision skills etc.

I start back properly in september and have approx 5 more years of study ahead!

Cant wait!

4. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

I went back to college and uni (5 years) finished when i was 28, i would have stayed on and done my MSc. and phd but couldn't afford it. c

enjoyed myself, there were 2 other people older than me in 1st and 2nd year but not actually on my course. age doesn't really matter friends and social wise.

i was 10 years older than one of my best mates there.

it all depends on what you want out of it and your drive and personality, i think, as to how you find it.

GillyR likes this.
  5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Im 25 at uni, so probably count as a mature student :( And the other Part Time people I hang about with are generally between 25 and 40 - we all seem to have the same problems hehe.

Its hard going, trying to study around full time work and real life commitments but it is doable - you just have to stay motivated!

My dad has just completed a 6yr OU BA honours degree adn he found the same. Enjoyed doing it, but its hard work and often hard to get motivated

Prob depends on the course; how much work there is and how hard it is!

#5 Savahl, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  6. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

Im doing a BA degree and as of today just started a diploma to do over summer (omg im mental)..... :lol:

how do i find it?
    much better than being a younger pupil. I (imo) get far more respect that i went back as a mature student than i did when i was in college at 18.

Its great tbh, i highly reccomend it. I have another 2 years left of my degree, then i plan another 3 year par ttime masters :)

GillyR likes this.
  7. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

i am in my late 30's...... for the last 13 years i worked in import and exports....got made redundant......i am not sure.....maybe social work of some kiind.

But i have nightmares, about being the eldest person And being the thickest- i am in my late 30's.
    I have a daughter at uni ...part of me thinks it is made.....another part thinks why not.

8. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

you will be far more focussed than the younger ones in the class, as you know what your working towards. You might take longer to pick things up but you will remember it better as you'll see what it can be used for far easier.

don't be put off, the oldest lady in our 1st/2nd year was well over 50, she was doing it for fun, she got 100% most of the time.

go for it :D

9. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I agree...we have several people in our course in their 40s

10. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I did my teaching degree at the age of 34 and thought that i'd be the oldest - far from it. :thumbup: I have 3 kids too.

GillyR likes this.
  11. billyboysmammy

2 kids here and about to turn 30

I'll be 35 by the time i am qualified and 38 by the time i have finished in the specialities afterwards!

GillyR likes this.
  12. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

thanks guys.

going to rep as many of you as i am allowed :lol:......feel better, and husband said he will support me. I guess i am just having a shirley valentine moment...expecting someone to tell me not to be daft.

13. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I think I found it much easier than i would have at say 20. I was mature and some of the younger ones on my course seemed to really respect my opinion. I had a lovely comment one day, when the young 'uns decided that I was the person they would most like to teach their own children. :)

I was more organised mostly because I knew I had to get things done by a certain time due to all the other commitments in my life. I have aslo found it easier to enter my chosen occupation than some of the younger students. One poor girl is still an NQT as I'm applying for a management role (wish me luck - interviews next week). She has had a broken induction due to pregnancy - something I will definitley not be doing at my time of life:D :D

I think you should go for it :thumbup:

If you fancy a natter about it drop me a pm any time. :)

14. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

thanks xxxx that is a lovely comment, good luck too !!! will take you up on the offer too xxx

15. billyboysmammy

16. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

LOL ha ha ha .... you have one too, they are great arent they lol.

17. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

i did it 2 years ago to retake my GCSE maths..... which ment i was 23.

The course was full of school leavers and very imature and roudy, made it hard to concentrate as it was like been at school again, i got peed off 3 months into the course and didnt go back, there was no way i was going to get a better grade if i couldnt concentrate again just like in school.

18. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

That is such a shame. I redid a couple of my GCSEs before I did my degree - as a test to see if I could cope going back into education. There was a mix of people, not many school leavers. It was at night school though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice