Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mating advice!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by figandcleo, Aug 8, 2019.

1. figandcleo

figandcleo PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have two 3 month old kittens, who were born in the same litter. Cleo is female and Fig is male.

My vet has advised that we cannot get them done till 10 months old and till the female has her first heat.

Two questions really.

If they both get done, will this stop them mating or just stop them conceiving?

If they start mating and we get them done, will they stop?

I do not want my cats to mate at all. I live in a flat and would get so many noise complaints for a start and not only that, I just don’t like the idea of it.

Advice please and thank you :)

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If your vet genuinely believes that your kittens need to be 10 months old before neutering then I would change my vet as that is not only nonsense but by 6/7 months old you could have a pregnant kitten on your hands.
    Many kittens are neutered by breeders at 12/13 weeks old before going to their new homes so I would phone around and find a surgery that works in the 21st century .

Loren95, sandy-cat, Pixel and 3 others like this.
  3. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

chillminx and O2.0 like this.
  4. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

You need to change your vet. Your kittens need to be neutered by 5 months of age, and some vets (probably most, nowadays) will neuter at 4 months.

Do not leave them unneutered after 5 months. I had a female kitten who went into heat at 5 and a half months, just before I was going to neuter her - don't let that happen to you. My kittens are all neutered at 4 months now!

When they are neutered it will stop them mating, as well as stopping them producing kittens.

figandcleo likes this.
  5. figandcleo

figandcleo PetForums Newbie

I think it was a lack of experience. He was quite young. When my partner asked ‘but will they mate?’ He said ‘yes’ with no smile or emotion. I’ve found a vets who will do it now! Thank you.

ribbon, O2.0, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  6. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Glad you've found a new vet - good news all round

figandcleo likes this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What a frightening thing that a vet is giving out such purely false information. Every heat a cat has increases her risk of breast cancer later in life, so no she does not need "one heat". And, as has already been stated, if you left them to it until 10 months your female would be pregnant long before that, and your male would likely be spraying all over the house.

I would feel compelled to write to that vet's boss and tell them what kind of nonsense he is spouting. Young he may be, but he didn't learn those things in vet school, he's voicing opinion as fact.

ribbon, sandy-cat, figandcleo and 2 others like this.
  8. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

I agree @lorilu, it's appalling a vet is giving out this advice.
    How do some vets continue to get this so wrong?

figandcleo and mrs phas like this.
  9. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

There are still vets out there that espouse the (for dogs)
    One litter before spaying
    idiom

figandcleo likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am amazed! Probably vets who qualified in the 1950's and have never updated their training since?!
    ;)

I'm glad I've not come across such a 'dinosaur' in any of the vet practices I have used.

#10 chillminx, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  11. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

It's odd. I've always found the younger vets to be more up to date with things like this.

lorilu, figandcleo and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice