UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm stuck on this. Does anyone know how I work this out?

An estimated 7.3 × 1012 kg (7300 million tonnes) of anthropogenic carbon are added to the atmosphere of the Earth each year.
You may have come across the phrase ‘carbon footprint’. This can be defined as the amount of carbon that an individual adds to the environment each year (indeed, you may already have calculated your own carbon footprint). Based on a global population of 7 billion (i.e. 7 × 109) humans, what is the average mass of anthropogenic carbon added to the environment in a day by a single human (i.e. what is their average daily carbon footprint)? Express your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures.

Many thanks. :D

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
7.3 x 10^12
---------------
7 x 10^9 x 365

=

7.3 x 10^3
-----------
7 x 365

= 2.9 kgs per day per person to 1 sig fig.

* Assuming 365 days in a year and not allowing for leap years. Depending on what this is for you might want to use 365.25 for the number of days in a year and state your assumptions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.