Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mate at second or third cycle? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Fendi, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Fendi

Fendi PetForums Junior

Hello
    My breeder/mentor has recommended that I don’t mate my baby until she’s into her second or third heat cycle.
    I trust my breeder, she’s utterly amazing. But I was wondering why she would suggest that. My girl has had her very first heat cycle albeit it was very short (for 2 solid days she exhibited all the typical signs of being on heat). My breeder has informed me that 2 days is short and to wait until her second calling for mating. I didn’t think of asking her why and I don’t want to constantly badger her with questions ((she has her hands full as her husband was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer ☹️ ) however I’m stressed about pyometra. Can anyone shed any light as to why to wait for second heat cycle?

thanks

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

You need to put worries of pyometra out of your mind. It's an uncommon condition and unrelated to cats being left unmated. Pyometra most commonly occurs 5 weeks after mating and is due to hormonal changes.

I think you have answered your own question - her first season lasted two days which is not sufficient time for a female to be introduced to a male, be sufficiently relaxed in his company to mate. It's best if matings can take place over two to three days.

When to mate is also age dependent

spotty cats and OrientalSlave like this.
  3. Fendi

Fendi PetForums Junior

Thanks gskinner. You’re right, I really need to chill a bit more about pyometra. I’m like a first time mum, running to emergency hospital when my kid has a cold ( and I know I need to stop that bc it’s annoying).

Thanks for explaining it to me, I love this site and all the friendly people who happily give advice ❤️❤️❤️❤️

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's expensive as well!

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I look or my girls to have settled into a regular pattern of calling. Having Siamese that can (and have) start calling from 4 months it wouldn't be good to mate after a first call.
    I've only had one case of pyo and that was with a girl who was already pregnant

OrientalSlave likes this.
  6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I think of "3 heat cycles" like an old wives tale.

My girls will call at a very young age and also 6-10 times with a litter before their kittens leave them, wouldn't mate them early simply over a number.

I've only had 1 Pyo over the years, while we desexed for various reasons, the treatment works well in most cases.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice