Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mastitis - puppies infected

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Teresina, May 30, 2016.

1. Teresina

Teresina PetForums Newbie

I have reserved a puppy (border terrier) which is now 5.5 weeks old, we are due to collect him at 8 wks. The breeder called yesterday to say the dam had mastitis which caused infection in the pups and they were put on antibiotics and hand weaned. The breeder says they are all well and recovered. Is there any advice on what concerns, if any, I should now have about the pup in terms of health, development, etc ? I'm wondering about how this could have had an adverse affect on the puppy. Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

2. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

I've never actually heard of puppies becoming infected due to Mastitis. In fact it used to be that, along with proper treatment, the puppies suckling helped improve the condition by preventing a build up of milk... all depending on the severity of the infection of course.
    Maybe things have changed?

I've only ever been advised to hand rear if the pups are not gaining weight properly, the infected gland(s) become abscessed etc & needs extra treatment or the mother refuses to suckle the pups/becomes aggressive due to the pain.
    To be fair it was 20 or so years ago so all the above could now be total BS :)

ETA: A quick scoot round the interweb found this
    http://www.uskbtc.com/about-kerries/health-genetics/mammary-disorders-of-the-bitch/

#2 Blackadder, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Wiz201 likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd want to know that if the pups were treated with antibiotics, they'd also been given probiotics to get the normal gut bacteria restored.

ouesi, Wiz201 and Blackadder like this.
  4. Teresina

Teresina PetForums Newbie

Thankyou for posting your comment. Yes, the breeder did mention she had the puppies on probiotics.

5. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I don't see a problem if they're recovered but I'll have a vet check the pup's health thoroughly before starting vaccinations. But as said above, I've never heard of a bitch passing a mastistis infection onto the pups.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice