Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Massive problems

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Shaunmevans, Mar 14, 2019 at 2:06 AM.

1. Shaunmevans

Shaunmevans PetForums Newbie

I have 2 britsh shorthairs, a male and female, male is 2 this year and the female is 1 this month,
    Are female dose not show any interest in are male,
    And shows no signs in being in season, is this normal?
    Can a female can not be interested in a perticulare male that she has spent a year with?

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

British are a slow maturing breed and some girls aren't ready until they're two. It's not advisable to have a male and a single female as he will get frustrated. Have you got a mentor? They should be telling you this

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

It's perfectly normal. She isn't a year old yet and whilst some will have their first call well before then, many will be turned a year+

Try not to think of it as a 'massive problem' - cat breeding can be full of those and I promise you this isn't one! :)

spotty cats and OrientalSlave like this.
  4. David C

David C PetForums Member

We have BSH and they can and often are later callers but some can be silent callers of which we have one and she doesn't even show signs of rolling around and no noise what so ever, Only our boy knows when she is ready and then she will take the right position......Now baring that in mind, Your girl is only just 12 months old so no way should you be thinking about breeding her yet........If she is a silent caller like our girl is your boy could easily mate her so you need to make sure you keep them apart at all times as it really only takes a few seconds. Are your cats registered and on the active register?
    Also, Yes some girls don't like some boys and will not entertain them.

5. Shaunmevans

Thank you very much for the feed back, any tips would be more then appreciate,

6. Shaunmevans

Thank you, they are separated and know this now is allot better, the make is registered but the female isn't

7. Shaunmevans

Male is registered but not the female

8. David C

David C PetForums Member

Is the female registered active for breeding or non active? If she is registered active is the breeder you got her from not mentoring you? Your boy i would get neutered he isn't registered and is just a pet?
    Do you even know What blood type they both are or if they have been tested for PKD and if so what were the results? If you let them mate and they are not the same blood type you could end up with all the kittens dying on you.

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Sign...

bluecordelia and spotty cats like this.
  10. Shaunmevans

The male is registered but are female is not registered,
    Would you recommend a stud for her when she's old enough? I don't know if they are the same blood type to be honest,

11. Shaunmevans

???

12. David C

David C PetForums Member

If she isn't registered then you should just get her spayed as she's just a pet, You don't have any idea of her background if there are any problems in the lines that she is from and also don't have any idea if she is PKD clear or not or what blood type she is, I would suggest you get her spayed and him neutered and then go along to a couple of shows and speak to some BSH breeders there and find someone willing to help you out.

13. Shaunmevans

Thanks for the advice, could I not get the test done to check if she's pkd clear and what blood type she is,

14. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You can get her tested but why breed an unregistered cat?

Rufus15 and spotty cats like this.
  15. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

If you want to breed correctly and ethically, please don't breed unregistered. Neuter them both, show the registered boy, find a mentor, and breed responsibly with registered cats

#15 Rufus15, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:03 AM
    bluecordelia likes this.
  16. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Please note that you would be basically breeding moggies along the lines of the litters on websites claiming to be pedigree or half breeds. A lot of these people don’t understand the risks and breed in my opinion with little regard .

Please learn about breeding. It’s done for the love of a breed and isn’t financially rewarding. There are too many cats is rescue. I love my pets but would never breed.

lymorelynn and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice