Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mass death in two days...HELP!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishwithlegs, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Fishwithlegs

Fishwithlegs PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, unfortunately I'm back with more bad news. Previously I've had problems with losing one fish every 2 months ever since December 2018.

I've seeked help from this forum and everyone was really kind and offered a lot of help. Finally my fish stopped dying for a while. I live in Brisbane, Australia and we're entering Autumn soon. For the past few weeks it's been either 18-23℃ or 27-32℃. It's really random.

But I managed to keep my tank 25℃ at all time's.

I was gifted 6 guppies in May 2018, they gave birth around June. No deaths there. My longest resident is my Golden White Cloud (which I love so much). He was purchased from an aquarium, he was the only one left in his batch. His mates have all since moved on.

Anyways, so my tank started from 7 fish to 20 in the course of...6 months. In the previous forum, some have said my tank wasn't properly cycled or the fish expand too fast for my filter to keep up. Ever since I've been doing water change every day.

1 cup a day, 20% weekly, 75% monthly.

I have a 60 litre fresh water tank. My ammonia have been sitting at 0 and the filter media doesn't seem to be very dirty at all. I've tried cartridges before and they pick up a lot of stuff.

I have no idea why...It's been like a chain reaction, I lost two fish at the start of February (did a water change after that). Then 3 died two days ago, so I did more water change. I discovered 3 of my male fish are bullies so I put them in a separate smaller tank (with no filter). They're doing really well.

Then yesterday I found 3 more dead. I added more seachem prime and water change.

Today...Today was the worst, I lost 3 this morning, and found 2 gasping for air. I quickly jumped into action because I knew something was seriously wrong. I pulled out any plastic container I can find. I filled them up with fresh water and a cup of water from the main tank. I quickly loaded 5 fish in each container.

I didn't know I had so many fish in my tank, so I suspected it was over crowding. My fish are having stringy white poo. Ive purchased API general cure (it surprised me that none of the aquarium online stores in Australia carry this). So I'm still waiting on it to ship. I'm in the midst of doing a 90% water change. I'm in full on panic mode because I've tested the water and it's 0 ammonia and pH is at 7. But everytime I go back to my tank I see dead fish floating or sinking to the bottom. I don't know what to do.

The fish in isolation from the main tank are doing well. My white cloud is rather calm but sticks closer to the surface. I have an air pump and it's constantly supplying the tank with lots of air. The only thing I can think of is the weather? It's been storming this week. So the tap water might be dirtier? I added extra seachem prime to neutralize the harm from tap water, and iveI been trying to lower my fish tank to 25℃ again. I found it sitting on 30℃ this morning.

At this point I'm really close to just selling my fish...I don't know what to do. I just burried 10 guppies in my yard.

I've ordered a new filter on eBay two weeks ago and still waiting on it. I have realised there are a lot of new fry in the tanks...I'm really hoping it's actually just over crowding...And my water condition is fine.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :'(

2. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

A really obvious couple of basics..... Are you treating all water that goes in your tank with conditioner? Plus, I wonder if you are doing too many water changes..... It may be that the filters are not having the opportunity to build up the necessary bacteria.

3. Fishwithlegs

Hi Blaise, thank you for replying. Yup, I've added prime and do water tests before adding new water into the tank. Then do another test after adding the water. I thought it's necessary doing water changes eveytime a fish has died....I also add in seachem stability everytime I do 70% water change...I don't know...Separating them seem to be doing the trick at the moment...

I just want to give them all away and restart the cycling process...I don't know if I should be doing more or doing less...

I'm hoping when the new filter arrives, it'll help with the situation.

I use seachem Prime for treating my tap water. Is it possible I'm not feeding them well? Or over feeding them? I feed them daily twice a day. Is that too much? I'm still new to this...

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Ammonia might be 0, but do you have any tests for nitrite and nitrate?
    The fact that they seem to thrive in cleaner, fresher water suggests there's something going on in the tank. Can you post a picture of it?

5. Fishwithlegs

Hi Linzn, I don't have tests for nitrate. I woke up to 8 dead fish...so I'm not sure what to do...
    here's a photo of my main tank...
    20190310_090111.jpg
    I'm not sure if it's because they keep getting pregnant and the tank eventually became too overcrowded or genetics. I talked to their previous owners, she said she only water changes when the water becomes stinky. Usually, they live in heavily algae grown tank.

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

@Fishwithlegs , you really do need a nitrite and nitrate test kit. You have been advised of this.

This is the problem with livebearers - they're so prolific when it comes to breeding, that unless you have a ruthless streak, they can and do quickly overrun a tank.

If it were me, I'd take them to the shop, buy a test kit for nitrite and nitrate, carry out a fishes cycle, and get some tetras or rasboras.

Fishwithlegs likes this.
  7. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Agree ^^. It’ll be a nitrite problem.

Fishwithlegs likes this.
  8. Fishwithlegs

Hi Linzn, thank you for the response. I'll buy a nitrate and nitrite test kit tomorrow. :'(
    Do I need to give away the fish for the time being? And replace them with tetras or rasboras?

I'm using this video to walk me through the process...I hope this is what you are referring to. Sorry, I'm still pretty clueless to this and thank you for being so patient.

Hi Blaise, thank you for the reply :)

9. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Agreed, nitrite is a likely culprit, but just to rule out anything else...

Do you have any plug-in air fresheners in the room where the tank is?
    Have you sprayed anything near the tank?
    Has anyone been smoking in the room?

Fishwithlegs and kittih like this.
  10. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Also have you checked your ammonia test to see if it does give positive readings in the presence of ammonia

LinznMilly likes this.
  11. Fishwithlegs

Hi Naomi
    I don't have anything else like that near the room. My household or neighbors don't smoke, and the windows are constantly closed. The tank is situated next to a window though...its located in the living room. But the air quality is fine...Though recently my brothers have stared doing excerise in that room...I don't suppose that would stress them out?

I thought it was parasite at first, because their bellies are sunken in when they died and they stop eating. But the recent deaths are all perfectly fine fish.

12. Fishwithlegs

Hi Kittih,

I'm not sure how to check that, but the test kit hasn't expired yet.

13. NaomiM

One more thing - does your filter outflow provide plenty of agitation at the surface of the water? Oxygenation takes place at the surface, so an air pump blowing bubbles beneath the surface actually does very little to oxygenate the water. With the hot temps, the concentration of oxygen drastically decreases, and if your tank is overcrowded it may well be that they're struggling to get enough oxygen.

Fishwithlegs likes this.
  14. Fishwithlegs

Hi Naomi, I think so? On the filter description it says it generates enough oxygen without an air pump. I've also been constantly adding water.

15. NaomiM

Yes it should do, but it depends how the outflow is positioned. What type of filter is it? Is the outflow underwater or above water? If underwater, is it positioned to point upwards towards the water surface? And can you visibly see a lot of water movement on the surface? In temps of 30 and with an overcrowded tank, and where you're seeing fish gasping for air at the water surface, these questions are important.

16. Fishwithlegs

Hi Naomi, the filter is stuck onto glass. The water spits out like a waterfall, you can see bubbles forming when the water hits. I also have a lot of plants in my tanks...But I'm starting to think they might be interrupting with the water flow.

I've also put the air pump on the highest setting there is...Should I invest in a filter with a stronger water flow? So it produces more oxygen?

17. NaomiM

Extra filtration certainly won't hurt. Those hang-on type filters are OK, but tend to be quite small filtration capacity. I'd keep the current one but consider adding another - external filters are the most effective and generally come with various options for the output.

You still need to get a nitrite test as a priority, though.

Fishwithlegs likes this.
  18. Fishwithlegs

Hi Naomi,
    Yup, I just got one and I'm still keeping up with the water change too. I'll look for some external filters too :) thank you for the advice.

19. NaomiM

That's good :) What are your nitrite test results?

20. Fishwithlegs

Hi Naomi,

Sorry for getting back so slow. I didn't see the notification. The readings are: 0.01 for nitrite, and 3 for nitrate

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice