Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

martingale collars

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by simonsays, May 11, 2010.

1. simonsays

simonsays Banned

ive been using chole chains on my dogs because they slip their collars easily so when they were out i had to adjust them and make them really tight all the time so a choker was just easier to use, anyway i found out about martingale collars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martingale_(collar)

and i just bought 2 off ebay

does anybody else use them?

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I dont use them myself, but yes half choke or martingales are a MUCH better and kinder option for the dog. They tighten slightly if the dog pulls but has a limited tightness, so it can never choke. Also it tightens round the back, not the throat. The collar is always leather/material etc round the front part on their sensitive throat and windpipe and then the chain is round the back on the stronger part of their necks.

You can also buy all material ones too. :)

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I use them all the time on my lot!! I buy most of mine from TRPD or Home - Collars and Woofs . Also half checks are useful, esp on my JRT and Lurcher both of who like to reverse out of collars when they think the walk hasn't been long enough!!!:rolleyes:

4. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

5. petiquette

petiquette PetForums Member

Different people seem to have different opinions on how to properly fit half check / martingale collars.

Some say that when tightened the two rings actually meet around the dog’s neck, with sufficient space for two fingers to be slipped against the neck, under the collar in exactly the same way as a flat collar would be fitted. This ensures that the Half Check collar cannot be used as a choke collar when the lead tightens.

Others say that the two rings should never touch and should be a minimum of 2 inches apart.

Which method would you say is correct?

6. leashedForLife

How a Martingale Collar Works

IMO both the GReyhounds pictured are wearing collars far too-loose, which do not serve the purpose -
    the martingale is supposed to NOT go off over the dogs head if they back-up/drop their head.

i adjust mine so that they are HIGH + Smooth, no slack in the fabric-loop; even if the dog lunges or attempts to bolt,
    the collar cannot come off over their head. i work with spooky or aggro or reactive or predatory dogs,
    and cannot have a dog taking off! :eek: insurance is great, but not to cover my own poor choice of tools, or poor use.

JMO + IME,
    --- terry

7. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Can you use a harness with a greyhound or are their chests too deep? I am hoping to adopt a greyhound but I am now starting to panic in case it runs off!

8. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I go with the method i posted as that's where i bought my collars from. If the rings touch surely you might as well just use a normal collar :confused:, but perhaps they use the half check for the check chain sound rather than need an escape proof collar? If the dog has a large head you can probably get away with using it like that, but with a sighthound whose head isn't much bigger than its neck you'd probably end up with a loose dog. Martingales are also known as restricted chokes, they are kinder than choke collars and slip leads as they will only tighten up so much in order to prevent the dog backing out of the collar.

This is where Hectors martingale sits while not in use, but may vary depending on the size of the neck/collar. Hector's necks narrowest point is only 12inches which is the lowest end of the collar size.
    [​IMG]

Most greyhounds in this country wear a leather greyhound collar for walks which is often given at adoption, but are widely available. They are fitted snugly right up behind the ears (narrowest point) and the width in the middle makes it more escape proof than a normal dog buckle collar.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    You can use a harness with a greyhound but make sure its fitted well (not too loose) as it is possible for houndini hounds to get out them, but most don't have the desire to. I have the no-pull ones from 2 hounds design but these fleece harnesses seem popular with greyhound owners.

9. Guinevere13

Thanks :) Perhaps harness, collar and martingale would be too much?!?

10. leashedForLife

hey, gwen! :--)
    yes, they can wear harnesses; i use front-clipped H-harnesses on dogs of all shapes + sizes.
    ANY brand of H-harness with a ring on the chest, that fits well, is fine; the ring secures 3 straps that meet on the chest,
    2 from the shoulders, one going down the sternum to the girth-strap.

off-leash OUTSIDE a fence is generally not allowed by most Greyhound rescues -
    at least here in the USA, its in the adoptive contract, and if the dog is found off-leash running or reported at large
    (if ACC picks them up, the microchip often has the rescue as the first-call),
    they can re-possess the dog.

they are called Sighthounds for a reason - they can SEE moving-targets further away than we can,
    and are off at 40-mph; the likelihood of calling them off is remote.

retired-racers are great dogs; easy grooming, generally easy-going, love a walk, like to lounge on the sofa,
    with or without humans... ;) they can be PREDATORY tho,
    be sure to ask if the dogs are tested re small pets - toy-dogs, CATS, etc;
    some Greys are cat-chasers who will kill if they catch one.
    cheers,
    --- terry

Guinevere13 likes this.
  11. Guinevere13

Thanks, I have contacted a few rescues but have mentioned I have cats so obviously will have to wait until the right dog comes along, although I will have to control my impatience :)

12. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Will be worth the wait i'm sure :D These groups home nationally and often have cat friendly/trainable dogs available so might also be worth a look.kerry greyhounds, GWRE, Greyhound Gap

Don't panic, much of it comes down to personal choice so whether you opt for greyhound collar, martingale or a harness as long as its fitted correctly it will be fine.

Guinevere13 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice