Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Marley And Me!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by maryann1971, Feb 1, 2012.

1. maryann1971

maryann1971 PetForums Newbie

Hi, as you have probarbly seen from my photos, we have a five yr old springer. Absolutely wobderful, kind natured, calm loving dog. In dec of 2011 we got marley, a puppy lurcher, wasnt planned, he was on his way to the blue cross when a lady on the school run mentioned him to me. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we ended up having him, overnight the house turned into chaos, crying, nipping, weeing everywhere, older dog refusing to acknowledge him accepting to growl n snarl at him. Christmas came n went, marley calmed down loads, alfie HAVING to live with the situation, only problem is the nippin/biting fromthe pup. We have all been cut till we bled, the more we shout no, squeal etc the harder the biting becomes. It's as though he thriving on hurting us, so much so that the kids aged 17,16 and 11 won't look after him because he hurts them too much. He has the past week done nothing but mount my leg. Why is he doing this and why just to me? (only mine). Love him to bits but he is so hard work, does anyone think he will calm down n be chilled out like my springer?

2. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

Its not just you. My baby lab of 4 months is constantly shagging her teddies and tearing them to shreds and biting (and jump biting) for Britain. I have got the scars to prove it :( The only things that help her teething are ice cubes, teatowels soaked in water and frozen, and raw hide chews. It is awful to walk around the house in fear of a getting an unexpected bite in the leg, bum or arm from an excited pup! But it is also awful to watch her gnawing in desperation because her gums are bleeding and sore. I am trying to follow all the training advice and hoping that she will grow out of it. In the meantime, there is the crate for time out; the garden to destroy; and a mummy body-cuddle with her at bedtime when she is tired out and I can be fairly sure that I will get a gummy, gentle nip instead of an all out bite :p Her worst behaviour seems to be reserved for me too but maybe that's because we are the 'mummies' and they are going through the equivalent of the 'terrible two' stage? :confused5: If not, we are just cr*p owners maybe :blush:

3. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

No dog of any age should be biting/nipping so much that they draw blood.

you dont say how old the lurcher is but you need to get this behaviour in check right away.

he needs to quickly learn that teeth on skin are not the way forward and totally not acceptable.....if he makes any attempt to bite or nip....say absolutely nothing, DO NOT SQUEAL, (lurchers often associate the squeal as an injured animal which they are preprogrammed to kill!), remove him from the room (time out if you like) and let him back in again after about 5 minutes. repeat as many times as necessary until the penny drops that he is not to put his teeth on you.

whilst doing this training it may help to have a long line attached to him which he can drag round the house with him so that you can grab the line and remove him without getting too close...thus preventing further bites.

if you really struggle to get this behaviour under control i would suggest a reputable behaviourist to come help you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice