Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Marks on wall at back of cat tray?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sn0w, May 6, 2017.

1. Sn0w

Sn0w PetForums Newbie

Hi, our cat is 18 years old, he still uses the cat litter tray in our house mainly for wee, on occasion poop (he prefers to go outside for this). Our litter tray is a fully enclosed litter tray but we noticed at the back of the litter tray marks on the wall. We moved it to another area along the same wall and the same has started to appear in this area also. As the tray is enclosed I can't see anything being sprayed on the wall. He doesn't sit atop the litter tray. Has anyone heard of this, does anyone have an ideas? Thank you.

2. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Could he be over enthusiastic when covering his wees. Could the tray be moving and marking the wall?

3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Is it possible he wees quite high (sort of sprays it out) and it's coming out where the top half meets the bottom half...by which I mean if top and bottom join/overlap the wrong way. Happened with my neighbour's cat. Try putting a piece of white paper between tray and wall and see if that gets marked. Otherwise, as @cava14 una suggested, he might be moving the tray when he uses it and rubbing the wall.

#3 Calvine, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Sn0w and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Splatters or sprays or simply claening up the wall with dirty paws afterwards..this is common place in the HB house. I use a cloth dampened with biotex to get the marks off.

ewelsh and Sn0w like this.
  5. Sn0w

Sn0w PetForums Newbie

I'm not really sure what it is, but I will try the paper behind the tray and between the wall. Thank you.

6. Mum to Missy

Mum to Missy PetForums VIP

I have to put puppy pads under and up the back of one of my covered litter trays, so it covers the wall as one of them always manages to wee outside the back of the tray, goodness knows how, but it does save having to constantly was the carpet.

7. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I bought trays with a higher join at the back because I have a high pee-er. It took a while to find them but I found 2 different makes which are fine and the join seems to be leak free.
    If they are enthusiastic about digging the tray might move and knock the wall, leaving a mark. One of those sponges for removing marks might help you with the cleaning, or put something on the floor behing the tray to stop it moving back against the wall, a doorstop kind of thing.

8. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

I notice you said the tray was fully covered. Does that mean you think he's getting behind the tray or am I just misunderstanding?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice