Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Marking her territory?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mum2Heidi, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Presumably this is what she is doing?

In the last couple of months as well as peeing normally, Heidi has taken to doing a few drops here and there. She sniffs the ground and then decides it needs pee. Sometimes lifting one leg to do it. When she passes a tree, or stake marking a footpath that dogs have cocked their leg against, she does a dribble at the foot of it. Makes me laugh because as she is my little pup growing up. (I am assuming this is what it is)

Today I mentioned it to a friend I made through Heidi who has a little cocker about the same age. They had their first season around the same time, were spayed around the same time etc. Yet Honey doesnt mark her territory.

Am I right that she is marking her territory?
    Why the need to do this?
    Why dont all bitches do it?

Any ideas?

2. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

yes i would say she is marking her territory... think it called scent marking.....

our Kya does it and she cocks one leg and once in a while she even does that scratching the floor thing to....

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Yeah, Heidi does the scratching the floor thingy - that is marking territory too?? I thought it was excitement :lol::eek6:

4. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

im sure i read somewhere that its normally quite dominate bitches that do it and yes my Kya is a bossy lil madam lol

is heidi bossy?

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I was thinking that both scraping the ground and scenting would show a very assertive dog yet Heidi is majorly submissive rolling right over on her back feet in the air for nearly everything we meet and licking at the mouths of others. Perhaps the worm is about to turn :lol:

6. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Maya started marking before she started her first season.
    She also cocks her leg and does the ground scraping afterwards.
    She isnt the type of dog who looks to dominate dogs, but she is confident and will tell other dogs off when she has had enough of them annoying her lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice