UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jake sometimes gets a black mark on the front of his neck from his half check, usually when he spends a lot of time wet (either through going into the water, or if it is very very wet on walks). And now, the same is happening with Arrow... although, it looks worse on him, I think because he has more white and his fur is much longer.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? Or is it a situation where the only thing that can help is to stop using half checks?

Would a martingale (with all fabric) be better? I have never used a collar like that, and I like the half check because I like collars to be loose when on, but do the martingales loosen up the same as the chains on a half check does?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Where are they from? I cant remember if the boys have one from me, but if they have it shouldnt be doing it as we use high quality chain, its cheap chain that tends to do it more.

Kira wears a half check and shes pure white, no marks at all on her neck, nor my other guys who also have white necks!

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
William used to wear a leather half check that had a brass chain. With him being completely white it used to leave a black mark. I used to clean it with brass cleaner and then wash it under the tap with soapy water. I've never had one with a silver coloured chain mark a white dogs neck.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
William used to wear a leather half check that had a brass chain. With him being completely white it used to leave a black mark. I used to clean it with brass cleaner and then wash it under the tap with soapy water. I've never had one with a silver coloured chain mark a white dogs neck.
the ones from [email protected] and companies who use cheap chains can mark as the coating on them isnt very good, Kira's one from [email protected] gave her an awful black mark and it took months for it to go :(

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
You could varnish the chain or paint it with clear nail polish. you might even be able to do it with car spray paint lacquer. I do that on Pippi JRT's collar ring and her ID disc ring or she's got a permanent stain :(

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
A lot depends on the quality of the chain and what it's made of.

I had the same problem with pets at home half checks.

I use good quality chains for my collars and I've not had a problem so far.:)

I don't like a martingale to hang loose,I bought one for Flint that didn't sit flat and he caught his front leg in the loop.:(

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Maybe it's because it's got wet? I don't know as I have a black dog & I use the same chains as Sid.
I could suggest brass but have heard that they can leave green marks & as well as being more expensive, you have to care for them.
A Martingale has the same principle with the loop being loose or a semi slip? Tilly sometimes wears a semi slip instead of a half check & I fit it loose so it doesn't squash her fur.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
the ones from [email protected] and companies who use cheap chains can mark as the coating on them isnt very good, Kira's one from [email protected] gave her an awful black mark and it took months for it to go :(
Our [email protected] don't sell half check collars any more mostly I get mine from dog showsalthough now the majority of them now wear either fish tail collars or martingale collars. I keep William's in my show back but never use it as it is too big for my whippets and iggies.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Our [email protected] don't sell half check collars any more mostly I get mine from dog showsalthough now the majority of them now wear either fish tail collars or martingale collars. I keep William's in my show back but never use it as it is too big for my whippets and iggies.
I have no idea what our [email protected] stock in the way of collars etc anymore, I dont bother looking :lol: only thing I've bought them in the last year and a half is a harness each!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I have no idea what our [email protected] stock in the way of collars etc anymore, I dont bother looking :lol: only thing I've bought them in the last year and a half is a harness each!
Our PAH sell thin flat webbing ones but they are in a packet so can't see what the chain is like, I'm always in there snooping about & inspecting stuff as it's right nextdoor to work;)... & sometimes I buy things too! I'm sure they either think I'm a thief or a mystery shopper;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you mean the webbing is marking Jake's coat, or the chain?

I ask because we used to use dark navy/black half check collars, but it was only Brandy whose hair was marked. It didn't affect Vicks. I think the dye would come out of the webbing and stain her coat. It wasn't from the chain though. When we switched to red ones, we no longer had a tie-dyed dog;) I think the red ones were a different brand.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I've had this happen too, and it was from a cheap collar/chain,
the better quality ones dont seem to leave any marks :thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I got half checks 2 years back at crufts and they all stained my dogs necks, which really put me off using them, which is such a shame because I really like the idea of half checks, especially with 2 of mine that have backed out of normal collars! :eek:
I have martingales from indi dog and they're excellent, but I dont keep them on them all the time because they dont seem to 'release' as well as the half checks, because of the fabric.

I would recommend, if you havent tried them already, an indi dog collar, especially as sid has said the chain wont stain.

I think I ight get one each for my lot sometime after xmas ... ;)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, going to try some of the ideas on here because I really like the half check collars.

Where are they from? I cant remember if the boys have one from me, but if they have it shouldnt be doing it as we use high quality chain, its cheap chain that tends to do it more.

Kira wears a half check and shes pure white, no marks at all on her neck, nor my other guys who also have white necks!
Arrow's is from you... it is the Union Jack half check... Jake's is an ancol half check that I got at a fun dog show a while back. The PAH here doesn't have half checks...

You can see Jake's black mark here... Arrow's was just starting out here, and is faint. They look worse in the flesh though. I stopped using the half checks on both of them for a few weeks, and the marks gradually went, I have started using them again in the last few days to see if it returns. I have been trying to find pics of Arrows black mark, but when he had it, all the pics have him in a collar, which are hiding it...

Do you mean the webbing is marking Jake's coat, or the chain?

I ask because we used to use dark navy/black half check collars, but it was only Brandy whose hair was marked. It didn't affect Vicks. I think the dye would come out of the webbing and stain her coat. It wasn't from the chain though. When we switched to red ones, we no longer had a tie-dyed dog;) I think the red ones were a different brand.
It is the chain, they only get it on the front of there necks, which is where the chain sits. I always believed that, but with Jake having the whole of the back of his neck black, it was hard to tell for sure. But with Arrow, he has a very thick white fur collar and it is only the front of his neck too so it has to just be the chain that is doing it. They both spend a lot of time wet, so I think that is a big part of it.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got half checks 2 years back at crufts and they all stained my dogs necks, which really put me off using them, which is such a shame because I really like the idea of half checks, especially with 2 of mine that have backed out of normal collars! :eek:
I have martingales from indi dog and they're excellent, but I dont keep them on them all the time because they dont seem to 'release' as well as the half checks, because of the fabric.

I would recommend, if you havent tried them already, an indi dog collar, especially as sid has said the chain wont stain.

I think I ight get one each for my lot sometime after xmas ... ;)
That is what puts me off martingales, is that they don't seem to release as well, whereas the half checks do... I have always liked half checks for Jake but I really prefer them for Arrow because his fur is longer and it looks better :eek: Arrow's half check is from Sid. I might give the martingale a try...

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
That is what puts me off martingales, is that they don't seem to release as well, whereas the half checks do... I have always liked half checks for Jake but I really prefer them for Arrow because his fur is longer and it looks better :eek: Arrow's half check is from Sid. I might give the martingale a try...
if you send me your half check from me I will change the chain, if its staining then the coating is faulty! like I said kiras neck is pure white and she's worn a half check every day for over 6 months with not a single mark

·
Registered
174 Posts
I found the same problem with Callie if the chain was left on after a 'wet' walk. I am now in the habit of taking the half check off when we get home. She waers a fabric collar the rest of the time which only comes off at bathtime.

Its a similar reaction to wearin an unvarnished copper bracelet.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
This might not be practical for some or even neccesary but mine have a 'wet' collar and a dry collar ie a collar they wear out on walks then a collar for the house and dry walks, only because Lexi gets sores on her neck if you leave a wet collar on. Just thinking you could have half checks for the house and dry walks and martingales for wet muddy walks?

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
It's down to the quality of the chain used.

My big lads wear Ann Rees half checks, and Harvey with his pure white chest, has no staining whatsoever, even when wet.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Alfie has this mark permanently and it's really annoying :(

Thing is though, his half checks are only from Indi-Dog, Tillymint and Quido Petz and he only wears them on walks, never at home (he wears no collar at home) so even if they get wet they're still only on him for the length of the walk.

I do wash them regularly but they're 100% dry before they're put back on him so I honestly don't know what else I could do :confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.