Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Marine questions

Discussion in 'Marine Aquarium Advice' started by Paws Dawson, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Paws Dawson

Paws Dawson PetForums Junior

I saw there were no posts in this section so if people have questions give me a shout :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Now where does the name 'Paws Reef' ring bells? :D

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Welcome to the forum. What do you have,

4. Paws Dawson

:p

Hawksport I currently have a custom build nano (26x16x14) and my partner and I run 2x 10ft and 1x 6ft coral tanks.

My previous tank was 3x2x2 mixed reef but mostly LPS :thumbup:
    Have also run a 'trigger & tang tank' *sigh* i miss the triggers and tangs

5. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I've seen a couple of your threads on UR (I'm not a member though). All are absolutely fantastic. :thumbup:

6. Paws Dawson

Ah cool, I get about on those forums when I can lol :rolleyes:

I just submitted a post with a few pics of the previous tank in the gallery section so sure it will be up soon :)

7. hawksport

hawksport Banned

8. Paws Dawson

Tried to post some in galleries, said it had to be approved and my post never materialised :(
    Took me ages to pull up all the links to pics

9. Highlander1975

Highlander1975 PetForums Junior

Welcome to the site, we must get some pic`s of our reef tanks on here.:001_smile:

10. ginge1965

ginge1965 PetForums Newbie

Hi paws, is it easier to set up a marine tank than a tropical tank? i really fancy a coral reef in my tank, seen them in the pet shop and they look really great with the fish swiming round it. do you put the coral in 1st, then the fish?

11. hawksport

hawksport Banned

If you are going to get diesease in marine fish it is most likely to happen in the first few weeks. Add the fish first, quaranteening each one. Then when the fish have all been settled for a few weeks start adding the corals. If you put the corals in first and diesease breaks out its almost impossile to catch them in a tank with corals in and most meds will kill corals so you can't treat them in the main tank

12. ginge1965

ginge1965 PetForums Newbie

forget this question, ive looked it up on google, you dont put the coral in till almost last. it looks a hellov a lot of work, but i think if i can master it it'll well worth it.

13. kudagirl

kudagirl PetForums Junior

Hi,
    It is easier to set up a tropical tank then a salt water tank,with a tropical tank you dont have as many water changes to do they dont cost as much to set up as marine fish and not as much can go wrong.
    We have had a marine tank going for a few years now, and are now trying to keep seahorses and they are even harder.
    But if you have the time and money then you can not beat a marine tank for the lovely colours you can get from the fish.

Sue

14. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

The key is also to take things really slowly and stock your tank over a period of months rather than days, and of course make sure your tank is properly cycled first :)

15. kudagirl

kudagirl PetForums Junior

Hi, Gingel 1945
    We have a marine tank and it takes time to get it up and runing,once you have your tank you then have to fill it with ro water, then live sand ,living rock, and leave it for a few weeks until the water is ok that means there isno Ammonia, Nitrite Nitrate and lastly the PH is ok.
    After you have done all this you can then set up a qt so thet any fish you buy must go into a qt otherwise if you dont do this you could lose any of your fish, after a few months you may then think about corals

Sue

16. VixenFox

VixenFox PetForums Junior

hello all, new member here :)

we have a marine fish tank, how do i post pictures on here?

were having a few issues with red slim algae at the moment, cyan bacteria yet the tank has been set up for over 5 years.. going to get all live rock out today and have a scrub and change the reef around/setup. have tried treatments but does not get rid of it keeps coming back, there are no dead spots in our tank..any advice?

17. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

I wouldn't recommend taking the rocks out and scrubbing them as potentially you will be removing beneficial bacteria.

Do you have a phosphate test kit?

How long have you had your lights for? It could be that they need changing.

18. VixenFox

VixenFox PetForums Junior

there is no phosphate in the system, as been running phoban for a while now in a reactor, and i run 10 aqua ray led's, I'm not going to remove all rock just the rock that has red growth on it..i think its a dead spot in my sump causing the issue :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice