Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mari suddenly not interested in outside!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ariadne, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ariadne

ariadne PetForums Newbie

Hello all!

Mari and I are bonding well now, thank you for all your help and advice! We've settled into a comfy routine and she's even giving me exercise as I run through the house trailing a ball of jute twine for her ;)

My question now is this: after the first day of mastering the cat flap and going out and in at least fifteen-twenty times, Mari has lost all interest in outside (or perhaps is afraid?) and won't use the cat-flap at all or go out when the whole door is opened.

It's strange - she was so eager to explore before and as far as I can tell, nothing has spooked her, unless she saw something like another cat when I wasn't there.

Now, all she'll do is sniff the threshold when thedoor is opened and then run back inside. This behaviour has coincided with the colder weather arriving, I suppose - has anyone else got a cat that won't go outside unless it's perfect balmy weather? :)

Or do you think something else is going on with her sudden refusal to contemplate a stroll outdoors?

2. cuddlesmycat

cuddlesmycat Guest

Mari may just be happy indoors spending time with you and this is why she isn't interested going out :) also I don't know if you're affected but it has been rather cold the last few days in the UK and Cats don't like cold weather and would rather be snuggled up indoors where it is warm :D

#2 cuddlesmycat, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
  3. ariadne

ariadne PetForums Newbie

Thanks :) Yes, I agree with her actually. Much better to stay snuggled indoors on a cosy armchair.

Attached Files:

4. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Is this the same kitty you have only had a couple of weeks. I think a lot of people would recommend you keeping her indoors for at least 6 weeks anyway. It is getting cold especially this week, so I know where I would prefer to be if I had the choice :D

She is a pretty kitty :)

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As Cookieandme has said ,it is recommended to keep a cat in for at least 4/6 weeks when it has moved into a new home especially with "strangers".
    She has to be relaxed in her new home and know that it is her home before she goes off exploring outside. Do you know anything about her past,if not ,she may have been an indoor cat.

6. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I think it's just the cold weather too. My cats have barely stepped out in 2 days. Make sure you have a couple of litter boxes and somewhere to snuggle to keep Warm brrr :D

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ariadne -- it is just the cold weather putting her off going out.

But it is lucky the bad weather has coincided with you adopting her as it will be fairly easy for you to keep her indoors for a few weeks until she has really bonded with you and regards your home as her home.

Much harder keeping a new cat in for the recommended 4 weeks in the summer!:)

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

She is really cute!!! :001_smile:

9. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I think she doesn't fancy getting her paws al cold.....
    She has explored, and now she thinks: been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
    Better be safe and warm inside.
    And she is very right about that.

I agree with the others to best keep her in for a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks after adopting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice