Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Marge is missing

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by thedogsmother, Apr 16, 2011.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My daughter fed the rodents in her room about an hour ago, when I went in to take the mice for their free range Lisa (gerbil) ran over my feet, she was out of the tank and Marge is missing, the door has been closed and Ive literally torn the room apart but Marge isnt anywhere to be found, Im so worried shes somehow got out of the room and with cats and dogs roaming it just isnt safe at all for her. I know a bucket trap wont work and gerbils would very easily chew out of a humane trap but does anyone have any suggestions for catching a loose gerbil. My poor daughter is in bits she says if Marge doesnt get found its all her fault for not clipping the lid on properly :(.

2. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

Can you shut the cats and dogs in a room that Marge couldn't of got into, and you can check easily (such as the bathroom)? If you can do that then it might be a good idea to do so. After that I have no idea what to do as I've never had tiny animals like Gerbils and I don't know how to catch them if they do escape.

Good luck catching her.

3. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Oh your poor daughter! It is too easily done!

You are the one I have approached for ideas so I have no idea hun! Sitting in silence won't help cos of the other animals! Lying down flour alond the sides of the room will let you know if she is active in the room. Don't know much about gerbils...if you opened the cage (putting other in a temp cage) would she go back in?

Am so sorry am not much help :( Rally hope she comes back safely! xx

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I hope you find her TDM..

Just let you know.. Chewie bear vanished today.. :rolleyes: I have gutted every roo.. And then shut the doors..

Ive been panicking one of the dogs had eaten her.. Giving them filthy looks all day..

I just had to run to the bathroom to answer the door via the window.. and nearly trod on Chewie Bear. :rolleyes: she vanished again.. so Ive just sat in there in the dark.. she popped back out so I called her and hse trotted back over..

The terrorist is now back in her cage.. And I can smile at the dogs again.. :D

Really hope you find Marge. Big hugs.. xxx

5. thedogsmother

I hope I find her as easily too hun. I havent really got anywhere to shut the other animals, the dogs are too big to be locked in one room really and the cats would yowl all night if they were locked in which would drive my oh mad, looks like Im just going to have to sit up all night listening/looking for her :(.

6. momentofmadness

I really hope she pops out soon..

Im not joking Id given up today.. I have been searching for hours and had blitzed every room..

And then there she was..

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Hope you find her TDM :(

Come home Marge :nono:

8. thedogsmother

Well still no sign, no sound, no droppings, nothing. I cant belive shes just vanished, poor Lisa is going crazy looking for her :(.

9. momentofmadness

Seriously I have been like this all day..

Shame ya can't pop a harness on Lisa and let her look..

Come on Marge get ya ass home..

10. thedogsmother

The only difference Ive noticed is the boy gerbils in my sons room are all sniffing the bars at the top of the tank, they dont normally do this so Im wondering if shes been in there looking for err well ya know :eek:.

11. momentofmadness

You know that is where My girls always head if they get out.. to the boys room.. :lol: little tartlet.. :D

12. thedogsmother

Well Ive locked the cats out of there, because Lilly usually likes to sleep with my son, so if she isnt in my daughters bedroom she might have somehow found her way into my sons room (fingers crossed).

13. momentofmadness

My thoughts are with you hun.. I know how stressful it can be.. I had given up today.. but left all the doors shut.. just in case..

14. thedogsmother

Well there is still no sign of her, Ive had everything (beds/wardrobes/drawers literally everything) out of my daughters room and shes not in there, so shes managed to somehow get out of her room which means shes been where the cats and dogs are loose :(. Im going to look in all the other rooms on that floor now so wish me/her luck.

15. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

oh no im so sorry to hear Marge has escaped TDM, ive got everything crossed that you find her soon:eek: xxx

16. ArabiCoffee

ArabiCoffee PetForums Member

I'm so sorry TDM, must be hard... the only thing I can think of is maybe dust the floor with flour like Niki already suggested I believe... maybe leave some of her favourite food in the middle of every room n check them out later? not sure how applicable that is considering u've got other animals... Hope u find her real soon...

#16 ArabiCoffee, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  17. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Hope you find her soon

When I saw a kid my gerbil ate her way out of a rota stack (didn't know then they could lol!) she was gone for days until one day while Havin a wee I heard some noises in the wall she had got into the wall all the way from the downstairs toilet were they were kept, through tbe hall way wall and then into the front room wall- boom lots if holes everywhere to try and find her and a very pee'd off mum then a few days later she was sat onto of her new cage sort looking like she was mocking her daughter lol I think she was gone for about a week with a dog in the house aswell x

#17 LostGirl, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  18. thedogsmother

Well that gives me hope anyway, the only real danger to her is Lilly, Ive never seen a cat with such a strong hunting instinct, if she meets Lilly I dont hold out a lot of hope for her :(.

19. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

good luck, hope you find her. its amazing where they can hide. when one of my hamsters escaped a few years ago we found her curled up in a blanket on an armchair. no idea how she managed to climb up all that way. she had probably been sitting there laughing whilst i tore every room apart

20. thedogsmother

I have had escaped rodents before but not when we had Lilly, all have managed to get safely returned to their cages but Im still really worried about her, its nice to hear stories about them turning up though, I just wish there was some sign of her :(.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice