Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

MAREMMA - Do you know what the breed is used for?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DOGPERSON, Nov 22, 2012.

1. DOGPERSON

DOGPERSON PetForums Member

Hi,

I sell dog treats at the local markets in Melbourne Australia, and at many of these there are egg producers.

I was startled to find that the vast majority (every one so far) uses a pack of these maremma dogs to guard their chickens. Many of these farmers tell me that the pack is not that friendly, often eats chickens but eventually becomes very protective of their own chickens, often fighting other maremma's on a chicken dispute.

When you see their pick they look like a large golden retriever, but I have been told by almost everyone, that only the farmers immediate family can approach these dogs, and many farmers purposely keep their dogs wild.

I just thought this was a fascinating story and wondered if the same goes on in the UK?

2. sianrees1979

sianrees1979 PetForums VIP

3. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

Maremmas are pretty rare in the UK nowadays, as are most of the "big white dogs" in the livestock guardian breeds (with the exception of the Pyrenean Mountain Dog). 20 years ago there were more Maremmas, Kuvasz and Kommondors around, but numbers seem to have dropped considerably over the past decades.
    When they were around, few of them were actually used as livestock guardians, although our Maremma and Kuvasz made excellent house guard dogs.

Mick

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

[youtube_browser]EE-3aggrAHI[/youtube_browser]

At around 43 minutes may be interesting for you although at around 44 minutes they use great pyrenees mountain dogs to guard a herd rather than Maremmas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice