Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Many Tears rules

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Elle.w, May 30, 2010.

1. Elle.w

Elle.w PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I work from home,have no children at home and have another calm dog, I would love to rehome one of the dogs from the wonderful Many Tears Rescue centre and think that I would fulfil their criteria. Unfortunately I live miles form the centre and my exsisting dog gets car sick. Their rules state that all members of the family plus any exsisting dogs must come and meet the new dog before a decision is made. Does any one have experience of the procedure and if there is any way I could adopt a new dog without my exsisting dog having to travel miles.

2. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I recently applied to adopt and to foster from MT - before I got ozzy, now I have to wait 6 months before I can foster apparently from them. I decided that Many Tears was too far from me - involving an overnight stay in a motel somewhere - but I think they do expect to meet all of you - or pick up the dog from whereever it may be if it is in foster ... However there is no harm in speaking to them, they can always "bend" the rules, they may meet you half way or something ...

Hope you are successful there are so many wonderful dogs waiting x

Clare

3. Elle.w

Elle.w PetForums Newbie

Yes, I suppose I could speak to them, Myself and my husband would willingly travel to meet the new dog, I just dont want to put my existing dog through the long journey when he doesn't travel well.

Thanks Clare x

4. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

If you phone them, they may have a suitable dog near to you in a foster home :)

5. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

We would like all new and old dogs to meet up just in case they don't get on its a long way to come and collect a dog and then for it to have to come back again if theres any problem and upheaval for the dog so although frustrating for you hopefully can understand why the rule is in place.

Edited to add that when I say We i don't mean i speak for Many tears but he rescue I volunteer for!!

Will second that it may be they have a dog in foster closer to you?

Some rescues (can't speak for all of course as they each have their own rehoming guidelines) will have a chat with you first, then do the homecheck and then if you come and meet the dog and everyone is happy will let you take the dog back with you then so you are only making 1 journey.

Wherabouts are you in the country? Have you looked at <Dogpages UK dog rescue forums> for details of lots of different rescue dogs all around the UK?

#5 EmCHammer, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. FriendsOfTheAnimalsRCT

FriendsOfTheAnimalsRCT PetForums Senior

Just ask them :) They're lovely people

xxx

7. Elle.w

Elle.w PetForums Newbie

Thankyou all for your help and advise. I will let you know how I get on:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice