Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Many pet rabbits worse off than battery rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by RWAF, May 5, 2011.

1. RWAF

RWAF PetForums Member

RWAF press release

Many Pet Rabbits Worse Off Than Battery Rabbits
    Many Pet Rabbits Worse Off Than Battery Rabbits
    2011-05-03
    [​IMG]
    A single rabbit lives alone in a small hutch
    May 03, 2011, Press Dispensary. The British public has reacted with distaste to a recent spate of planning applications for battery rabbit meat farms*, where the animals are kept in tiny cages before being slaughtered for meat, but The Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF - Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund ) points out that thousands of domestic pet rabbits are kept in conditions that are as bad or even worse, than those proposed by the battery farms.

RWAF Chief Executive, Rae Todd, has this to say. “Many people have raised concerns over the planning applications for battery rabbit farms, with almost 1300 signatures being collected within 24 hours of a petition going live. Rabbit farms are outside of our charitable remit, but of course we hate to see any suffering in rabbits. There is however an ongoing, less obvious welfare problem facing domestic rabbits all over the UK: the countless pets living alone with no way to express their natural behaviours. We hope that when people think about the battery farming issue, that they also consider the suffering of solitary pet rabbits in cramped hutches.”
    [​IMG]
    Thousands of pet rabbits live in hutches that are too small

Thousands of British pet rabbits spend their entire lives confined to hutches the same size , or smaller than, the DEFRA guidelines - which state that hutched meat rabbits should have a minimum space of 0.75m2. This equates to a hutch with a floor space of 4ft x 2ft, and as hutches this size or smaller are commonly available it will shock many rabbit owners to discover their own pet is in fact worse off than a battery rabbit.

“People need to decide for themselves whether to protest to their local council if they don’t want a rabbit battery farm in their locality,” said Rae Todd, “but The RWAF is encouraging people to take a look at their own rabbits’ accommodation, and to take quick action if the hutch is anything under 6 feet long, with an attached run of at least 8 feet. The RWAF website has great advice on creating the sort of accommodation that rabbits need to lead full and contented lives.”

A Hutch is Not Enough - Rabbit Welfare Assocation & Fund (RWAF)

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I would agree with this and maybe some are even worse off, many get dumped when no longer wanted as pets :(

Of course two wrongs don't make a right :mad:

3. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

That's hideous. Even when I had my past rabbits in outdoor hutches they were a lot bigger than that! That rabbit cant even move.

4. RWAF

RWAF PetForums Member

In case anybody is worried about that particular rabbit, it is a posed shot. For far too many, though, it's a reality.

5. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I rescued (and kept!) two large rabbits kept in a double 4 foot hutch, a bow shaped one so there was in effect, even less room. They were Dwarf Lops (meant to be!) but there was really nothing 'dwarf' about them! They were also brother and sister and had had (then killed) litter after litter and the owner was fed up of them. So I took them, immediately seperated them, had the male neutered and reared the litter that the female had 2 days after taking them before having her neutered and rehoming the babies with responsible friends. Sadly I have also seen chinchillas and guinea pigs kept in what can only be described as 'battery systems' when being bred for show. :(

6. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

I guessed that when I saw the article lol ^.^' but there are worse ones on the market. Like the crappy plastic primary coloured ones you would see a lot of in pet shops in the past.

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Tinkerbell was kept in a 2ft cage for breeding :( shes never been able to hop properly and i can only imagine its after never being allowed out of a space like that. Teddy my frenchie was kept in a 3ft hutch too, he was very hutch aggressive when i got him, completely different now he lives in bunningham palace :) petshops should not be allowed to produce hutches this small.

8. There is an applicatiuon in our local newspaper this week asking for planning permission for a rabbit farm about ten miles from us, (Meat & Fur)Not best pleased:mad: Who the hell uses rabbit fur these days??? or coney as I know it!

9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

here DT get contacting your council:)

10. where Noush! There is nothing for me to click on:confused:

11. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

There's one been turned down not too far from me, gonna get in touch with my animal rights mate who lives in the same village, get her to keep an eye on it

12. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

13. I come under Nottinghamshire council - although I an nearer to lincolnshire!

Can't find no link! am I looking for something that isn't there?

14. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I have never seen a rabbit battery farm, and don't like the idea of it. But have people been to see the set up of big chinchilla breeders who use the polygamous method of breeding, or the large scale breeders of small pets who supply pet shops?

15. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Yes, and IMO they should be stopped too, in fact pet shops should be banned from selling any livestock full stop.

16. RWAF

RWAF PetForums Member

I believe it's illegal in the UK to farm rabbits for fur. Sadly not so for meat.

17. My OH read it to me out of the local paper yesterday! I shall check later and copy onto here! but very tied up at the moment!:eek:

18. Couldn't wait could I
    page 25 of the Neark Adertiser (can been read online bottom righthand corner)

It begins

Proposals to breed rabbits for meat and fur have been submitted to Rushcliffe Borough Council

19. RWAF

RWAF PetForums Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice