Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Manx Cat with Incontinence

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Dbooth, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Dbooth

Dbooth PetForums Newbie

Hi, just joined today hoping someone might be able advise me what to do about my cat Tabitha. She's a 3 year old rumpy Manx and over the last 9 months has become increasingly incontinent (urine). She leaks urine while lying down/sitting and sometimes just walking around. I have taken her to the vets and she's had urine tests but nothing was found. The vet seems unaware that Manx cats can have these problems and is talking about scans etc but I do not have pet insurance. In the meantime Tabitha doesn't seem to be in discomfort - she's normally not aware of what's she doing.
    Has anyone had similar problems and did you manage to find a treatment? I seem to spend my day keeping her off the furniture and wiping up pee!
    Many thanks for any help.

Ps when she was younger she had trouble keeping her rear end clean - is this a sign of Manx syndrome?

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Poor paws :( sorry I dont know anything about Manx cats :eek: but do have a dog with the same problem, he has had x-rays & scans & nothing was found to the reason why except he does have alot of arthritus in his back & joints :( he has some stuff called Propalin syrup off the vets which has helped greatly but Im not sure if cats can have it :confused: hope you get some answers for her soon :)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi and welcome to the forum.None of my cats have ,luckily,had this problem,but there is a member on here who's cat was shot,then hit by a car and now has nerve damage resulting in her having a slight incontenence problem.This is the most recent link to the thread,but there are others.Pehaps if you P.M her she may be able to help .http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-heal...incontinence-any-help-advice-appreciated.html

4. Anne65

Anne65 PetForums Newbie

Hi, we adopted a manx last year who had been badly treated, she has the same problem. There doesn't seem to be any cure and I think with 'Marmalade' the reasons are two-fold - we partly blame Manx Syndrome but also the fact that she was attacked about 18 months ago by a young boy and ran away from home traumatised. The only solution we have is that we put a cat-flap into the shed and she lives in there. My husband has made her a very comfortable area and we bought her an animal electric underblanket for the winter. We would absolutely love to have her in the house with us and most days we do allow her in as long as we can sit with her (armed with bedmats, towels, etc.. !!). It's not ideal but the only solution we have found. It's a real shame because she's such a loving cat and follows us everywhere when we are outside, she's always there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice