Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

mantis urgent help!!!

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by abi cook, Jul 21, 2021.

1. abi cook

abi cook PetForums Newbie

3EB2215A-561C-4672-A601-F7EA06677F3A.jpeg FCF7E9B7-270E-441A-ABB0-757899985818.jpeg Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask.

My African Praying Mantis seems to be dying and I don’t know what to do. She has barely been moving the past 3 days but I just assumed it was because she was hot as we are currently in a heatwave here.

Today I decided to take her out so I could make sure she was still being hydrated. But as soon as I got her out, her abdomen fell flat behind her and she doesn’t seem to be able to get it upright. Her eyes are also clouded over and now she seems to be struggling to walk or even stand.

I gave her some honey water as I heard that can help them if they seem sick. She drank a bit but now she has stopped and is also refusing normal water.

However she keeps trying to move and stand up so she is clearly still fighting!

Does anyone know anything I can do to help her?

Please help!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Phone the vet?

3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I've never owned a mantis, I'll make that clear, but generally there is very little you can do for inverts when they are ill or dying. Phoning a vets is pretty pointless as most wont have a clue and you cant treat inverts conventionally like you can mammals, birds or reptiles.

How old is the mantis? If she is oldish, chances are the heat has been too much. I've always found that heatwaves have finished off any old inverts that I've had, and been too much for young nymphs.

I've just had an elderly stick insect die. I knew she was on her way as she'd spent several days on the bottom of the viv, with no strength to stay attached to a leaf. I simply leave them to die naturally tbh.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Could they not pts?

5. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure how they'd do it tbh, I dont know of any invert keepers who take their animals to the vets. The usual way of dealing with it is to let them die naturally, or if you want to end things quicker then crushing is an option, or freezing.
    Inverts arent covered under the Animal Welfare Act so things tend to be done a little differently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice