Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Managing allergies

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cloudygirl, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

I get hayfever terribly in the summer and for some reason it's started kicking in this last week and I was getting no symptoms before but now I'm getting allergy symptoms to the kits too :(

I'm currently

1. taking an antihistamine tablet every day and a nasal spray and my asthma inhalers
    2. using a mask (well a makeshift one until I buy a proper one lol) to empty litter and scoop the poops and wearing gloves obviously
    3. hoovering and sweeping every day to try and get rid of rogue hairs
    4. Bought cat brush and am grooming them a couple of times a week (they are short haired and it would be more but Jo really really doesn't like it) but Jo isn't keen at all and I bought some anti allergy simple solution stuff that you rub on the cats fur with a wash cloth and then dry them off and it's meant to reduce allergies.
    5. They are currently banned from the bedroom (although they've sussed getting in) so I can sleep at night and am using an air purifier.

Is there anything else I can try before I go back to the doctors and demand stronger medication? Does anyone else have experience in managing allergies?

Rehoming the cats is not an option (a friend has already helpfully suggested that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)

I've barely had a voice this week so I clearly either need to do something else or need different antihistamines.

2. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

I have similar symptoms to you, have quite bad hayfever and have always had an allergy to animals. Only ever lived with dogs at my parents house and gradually got used to them, were getting 2 kittens in a few weeks and im sure I'll get used to these too with time :)

I'll be doing everything that your doing at the moment, aswell as using eye drops and if that doesnt work im going to the doctors to suggest getting an injection that one of my friends told me about. It's an antihistamine injection given every 6 months, works for hayfever and other allergies. Not spoken to the doctor yet so not sure how willing they are to give this to people.

Sam x

#2 samhx, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  3. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Have you got new kits? I ask because when my old cats Jimmy and Sophie died, who I'd had for 15 years, I deliberately chose Burmese because of their short hair. I was then surprised when I began to suffer worsening asthma symptoms. I went to the doc's who immediately asked if I'd got any new pets. I said yes, but only cats again and I've had cats for years anyway. He explained that I'd built up an immunity to the old ones and had to do the same with the new ones.

He said it was important to use the preventer (brown) inhaler regularly - before that I'd really only bothered when I knew I'd got a cold coming on, which might set off my asthma.

The stuff you've wiped on the cats sounds like Petal Cleanse, which I also tried, but, apart from upsetting the cats, didn't really do much for me.

I would go back to your doctors, but if you do have new kits hang on in there, because it will get better in time. Mine latest lot are 6 now and they can snuggle up down the bed and not affect me in the slightest. :)

4. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

I've had them since the start of Jan so nope.

I bought someone some flowers a couple of weeks ago and they seemed to trigger the hayfever and from then on I've been sneezing with cat hair too and having a wheezy chest I wasn't at all before it's bizarre. They were on the bed before that.

I have had cats before and never had an allergy but I've only started getting allergies badly since i had glandular fever a few years ago and my old cats had already passed on by then.

I forgot to say I have eye drops too. My main symptom is wheezing and coughing and the loss of voice which is just driving me mad.

Bobbins isn't bothered at all about being brushed and wiped he sees it as fuss and apart from trying to chew the brush is doing roll overs and loving it but Jo isn't keen at all. My friend has loaned me a grooming mit which I'm going to try tonight to see if he will tolerate that but otherwise don't know what to do.

My doctors are even reluctant to prescribe me a different nasal spray even though I know it works better for my hayfever so I'm thinking that allergy injections probably won't be an option unless they are super cheap for their budget.

#4 Cloudygirl, Mar 30, 2011
  5. samhx

samhx PetForums Member

Do you have asthma? I have hayfever, asthma and eczema and find that when my hayfevers bad it triggers the other two off.

I often find i start wheezing and getting tight chested with hayfever and using an inhaler usually stops this. I would speak to your doctor and explain the worsening of your symptoms.

Hope things get better for you soon, I know how awful it is :(

6. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

Yup

I had asthma very badly a few years ago then it completely disappeared and I've been taking inhalers as and when. Not much at all actually but I've been taking the full dose of my seretide inhaler since it went bad with the flowers. Will make an appointment at the asthma clinic but problem is I work quite a way away from my home and so will have to take quite a bit of time off to go to doctors which is a complete pain and we are quite low staffed at work at the moment.

It's doing my head in this week I'm having to shut them downstairs at night so they don't come up and I'm missing the fuss and I think they are too but my chest is def better for it :(

#6 Cloudygirl, Mar 30, 2011
  7. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

• fight all allergies you might have together.
    • if you have dustmites allergy, a special pillow cover that is impermeable to dustmites will help you.
    • if your antihystamine is not working well, talk to your doctor to try a different one.
    • be sure your hoover has a HEPA filter.
    • do not hoover of sweep. Ask someone to do it as a lot of the dust comes up right when you do it.
    • open windows in the early morning to have the fresh air in.

8. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

When Abby and Rebel were alive I never had hayfever symtoms.
    I have had Shadow for about 8 weeks now and I get a runny nose and sneezing all the time.
    I only have to put up with it for another 20 years lol:tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

9. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

My OH swears by Neti Pot - Amazon.co.uk: neti pots

It really helps his allergies on the days he does it.

Would it be worth considering laminate flooring? If your cats don't like being brushed (one of mine always thinks it's a game and tries to eat the brush) try a damp rubber glove which will pick up a lot of the loose fur.

I assume you've tried different antihistamines? Loratadine or cetirizine tend to be most effective for us.

Hope that helps a bit...

10. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

have lino in the lounge, tiles in the kitchen hall and bathroom and laminate in the utility where cats sleep. Only carpeted upstairs.

will def look at the netipots and try the damp glove trick thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice