Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Man trouble

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Woozle600, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Woozle600

Woozle600 PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help/advice over my quandary. I think I'm entering one of those 'It's me or the dog' stages! If I may give you a little background info -
    I picked up Kolo at 11 weeks from Wales. He's a blue merle Huntaway X and I must say has one of the best temperaments I've ever known for a dog. Never once curled his lip, got grumpy, nipped, herded, got possessive over food or toys, perfect with children, so in general quite a well behaved dog.
    The problem I'm having at the moment is really with recall and his bids for freedom. He's coming up to 4 and hasn't been neutered (I'm not sure if this would help?). I've recently moved in with my partner (sept) - before that I lived on the coast and had a beautiful beach to our disposal. We now have a smallish field or just road walks so he doesn't get the same sort of exercise he used to.
    It's really my partner that has been having the issues with Kolo.
    First of all he rarely comes back when being called on his walks now especially if another dog or scent crops up. He has actually run out of the field and onto the road which is obviously a huge concern. From what my partner has told me is that he's chased after him(I think this makes it worse?!) and then upon catching him puts lead on and ends the walk. He apparently does praise him for coming back and I know he gives him treats&fuss when he does.
    Now this week has been a tough week. Part of our fence to the garden blew down 2 weeks back and we've been waiting for the agency to get it fixed. Of course Kolo has worked out there's a gap to the front and on Monday he was let out in the garden, minutes later he was down the path to the road. My partner tried calling him, rustled his food bag..nothing. He then went after him and having nearly got to him (2 houses down) kolo saw him and ran away. He ran pretty much into the next village, again along a road that's fairly busy in the morning. I got home from work and he told me 'If he does it again he's gone.' Well this didn't go down too well.
    Yesterday another incident! He'd managed to get through a small gap in the chicken wire in garden into a neighbour's back yard. Apparently it took half an hour to get him to come back through. Treats were waved, food bag shook, but to no avail.
    This is the first of this sort of thing he's done since we've been living there. I'm not sure what to do. I've suggested us both going over the field and practicing recall but it seems I have to sort it out because it's my dog. I feel I'm sat on the sofa with to grumpy men either side not talking to each other :p
    Now I just can't understand why he comes back to me reasonably well (although there is room for improvement!) but he's not really listening to my partner outside of the house? Do they need some more male bonding time? We've never walked him together as a couple either. Is there some pack mentality I should be dealing with?

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Kolo at roughly 12 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Kolo now:
    [​IMG]

2. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Forget the pack rubbish, enrol at a good dog training school and work on the issues you want to work on.
    Long line for a while whilst working on his recall.

My dogs Louie and Sadie don't listen to my OH, they're not used to it, I've put in all the work and effort, he's barely done any (he is now away in the army but he didn't do much before because training wasn't fun for him so it wasn't fun for Louie and Sadie was 7/8 when my OH and I met)
    For your dog to listen to both of you - you both have to put in equal amounts of effort. You have to allow your OH to work with him without saying "you're doing this wrong" because thats how it falls apart - I know because I refuse to walk with the OH because I'm continuously telling him not to do this, command this, do that.. and it doesn't work. Which is why you will find a class is better for you both as then you're following the SAME routine, SAME commands and can work together that way.

HTH - it's rushed and not very informative because I've got to go to work but someone will be along to expand no doubt - lovely dog btw I'd have guess blue merle collie if I'm honest :D

3. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Dont let him out of the house unless he is wearing a longline , even in the garden , his constant escapes are putting him in harms way from what you described
    until his recall is perfect I just wouldnt take the risk

One of my boys is still on a longline around other dogs because he goes deaf when he see's them and wants to play , and he is 4 now , but its more preferable than having him run off

You can get 30ft longlines from ebay for about £6 , that gives the dog freedom to play , sniff etc but gives you the peace of mind knowing he cant run off

Your lad is gorgeous by the way :)

4. Woozle600

Woozle600 PetForums Junior

Thanks for your quick response SLB. I shall look for a new local trainer - I had taken him to one when I was on the coast which we both gained a lot from, but after he turned 1 and passed the basic training I haven't been since. The trouble with classes is that my guy works shifts so is unable to commit as such. I would worry it would end up just being me again. Is there any strategies I can try at home/outdoors?
    I know what you mean about "you're doing it wrong"!
    I guess if he wants Kolo to be in tune with him he needs to put the effort in himself instead of thinking I can just fix it for him.
    Hopefully as the weather gets brighter in the evenings I can persuade him to come out with me and practice together with the long lead. At the moment he just doesn't trust him - perhaps kolo picks up on this too?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice