Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Mama dog unsettled in whelping box

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Danielle Mcnab, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Danielle Mcnab

Danielle Mcnab PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice. Our miniature poodle had 3 pups a week ago today. The first 3 days everything went perfectly. She had the pups in the whelping box, we’d had it set up 2 weeks before and she seemed really comfortable in there. However at around 11pm on day 3 she started to try and move the pups and was veg frantic about where she wanted to take them and wouldn’t settle.
    We eventually settled her down but her and the pups are now living on the sofa! We’ve packed it out so the pups can’t roll down the side etc and I sleep on the sofa with them every night and they are never left along, however as we have another dog, I had planned to put a play pen around the whelping box so he could still be around the pups whilst they grow and get used to him. We have had to keep him at my MILs for now.
    Has anyone got any advice of how to get her back in the box? I’ve tried putting the box on the sofa but she’s still not keen on being in there and she moves the pups. Obviously the sofa isn’t going to be suitable once pups start moving but I don’t want to stress her out and force her to be somewhere she doesn’t feel comfortable.
    Thanks in advance!
    Danielle

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Did your other dog see the pups ?
    If so it could be that mama-dog was unsettled by that, she would instinctively see any other dog as a threat even if he was their father. She's obviously moving them around to try and keep them safe , some bitches will attack and kill puppies if they feel under threat, so you've done absolutely right in sending him away for a while.
    Hopefully she'll relax in a few days and you'll be able to move them all back to floor level. Keep everything really quiet and calm , no visitors, no children and no other animals until the pups are mobile.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

At 3 weeks old, your pups will very soon become mobile. You really do need to get them off the sofa - it's far from ideal.

Have you tried putting the whelping box in a different room?

4. Danielle Mcnab

We had arranged for him to stay with my MIL from a few days before she was due so he never saw them and he hasn’t been back since. She’s super chilled up on the sofa and is such a good mum, I just know I’m going to have to move them soon before they become mobile but I don’t want to force it and make her anxious..
    Times like these I wish I was Dr Dolittle and could have a little chat with her :(

SusieRainbow likes this.
  5. Danielle Mcnab

Agreed!! They’re only a week old at the moment but they’ll be moving around before we know it!
    I’ve tried moving the whelping box around and following her to see where she wants to go when she was moving the pups but she doesn’t seem to know herself where she wants to take them, we are keeping the house super quiet and relaxed, curtains are drawn and no visitors allowed so hopefully she’ll make her way back to the box soon.

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, I know, if only they could tell you what's troubling them !

7. GizmoMogwai01

GizmoMogwai01 PetForums Junior

#7 GizmoMogwai01, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  8. Danielle Mcnab

Thanks so much for the reply. I thought the same about Fergie so we tried to put her whelping box in a nice quiet corner and keep her nice and cosy, but she’s now chosen the sofa and just lays sprawled out on there all day snuggled with the pups, so she can’t be feeling too worried about being out in the open ha ha. I wonder if she just wants to sit with us as she’s a really cuddly little dog. I slept on the floor next to the whelping box the first few nights, she suddenly decided to move the pups last Friday night when we were sat on the sofa and she was down in her box, which is just buy the sofa tucked away. Maybe she just wanted to sit with Mum and Dad

9. GizmoMogwai01

#9 GizmoMogwai01, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  10. GizmoMogwai01

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice