Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maltipoo puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mark Young, May 4, 2021.

1. Mark Young

Mark Young PetForums Newbie

Hi we have a 7mth old maltipoo who hasn’t had her 1st season yet, should we get her neutered now or wait until after her 1st season many thanks

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

The general thoughts now a days are to get bitches spayed after their first season, normally about 3 months after I believe. This gives them time to grow and mature properly :)

3. I would wait before spaying at least till she is completed her growth.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Vets are advising before the first season very often but I was brought up that they had a season first and most people on here seem to prefer that. She is made up of small breeds so most of the growing will be done. 7 months may be getting a bit too close to the first season though. I think it depends on a lot of things. Are you able to cope with a bitch in season. Will it impact too much on yours and her life. Is there an entire dog near by that it is going to drive demented. Are you planning a holiday in the next few months that could be badly affected if she comes in season. And importantly, what does your vet recommend.

5. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I had my bitch spayed around the 7 month mark before a season, she is also a smallish crossbreed, she was/is fine, I think it just comes down to personal choice.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice