Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

malt paste for mice?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by mices4, Nov 8, 2012.

1. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

Hi all.
    Does anyone know where I can get this? Jolleys have it for ferrets - is that ok for mice?
    P@H only have it for cats and dogs!

Thanks!

2. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I got mine at p@h in the rodents section. It says its for ferrets.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

The ferret stuff is the right one, if youre wanting it as a treat for your mice get them some hemp seeds too, they will go mad for them :)

4. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

Thanks! I got some in jolleys - the ferret stuff. Turns out Biscuit won't eat it if it's got Baytril in though!!
    Will get some hemp seeds next time I'm at rat rations. :)

5. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I put baytril in half a teaspoon of yogurt and mix it in and let the rats lick it off the spoon. If your mice like yogurt that could work.

6. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

Thanks polishrose - one more to try! Though I think she is a mouse with a very well-developed nose! She is like a gourmet mouse - she can taste all the flavours in a dish hehe.
    Still, the malt paste is fun when they lick it off my fingers.
    Have bee leaving a couple of the shy ones alone for a while and Nutmeg's become very jumpy, she's like a Ninja mouse! So I am hoping to win her over with malt paste once I've got the baytril out of the way....:rolleyes5:

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

You can put a blob on their fur if its the oral stuff (which it should be) then pop her in a spare cage till she grooms it off, failing that it will have to go in their water but then everyone gets it and you cant ensure they get the right dosage, although my mice wont fall for disguising it in things either so I feel your pain ;).

8. mices4

mices4 PetForums Member

Thanks! It's so stressful, I hate having to catch them all the time cos althought they are friendly and will climb on me, they don't really like being picked up. Ah well, when it's all over I can start with the taming again.
    I did put some on her fur, and the others cleaned it off for her!!!
    Will have to put her in confinement tonight :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice