Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mally owners?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissusMayhem, Apr 2, 2011.

1. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

I've never seen it .... i was a tad shocked!!
    we were out walking in the woods (off lead :D)
    when we came across a BEAUTIFUL! off lead Malmute! :O!
    is that rare or is it just that I've not seen it?
    they played a little and then i told him to walk
    on and off we went on our merry way :)

so...
    malmutes off lead?
    just wondering :)

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Nope, never offlead.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Irresponsible :mad: :(

4. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

It does happen, as we know from other discussion on here, that dosnt make it 100% ok, because as we are all aware they can have their moments of total deafness with regards to recal, was it a youngster? I do know of one person that allows their mal off lead, with their other dogs, I think it helps if the mal has close attachement to other dogs in their family, and those are well trained, the mal hopefully will follow its housemates when out, and recall with the others but again this is never guaranteed.

Mo

5. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

it didnt look old... but it was huge compared to Odin
    he was very obedient i thought they were always on lead due to prey drive?
    i was so suprised

6. Balto-x

Balto-x PetForums VIP

Baltos always off lead when possible, and went to intermediate training today and we did off the lead work on a field yards away from a road and he was amazing!! I wanted him on a Long line so trainer clipped him on and held him when I did recall and then let him go when I called him, trainer said it's mainly sibes who can not come offlead xx

7. Snuggles

Snuggles PetForums Senior

Your trainer is very irresponsible and wrong. Mal's can be as bad as Sibes when it comes to going off lead and recall.

Balto is still a baby. Please don't take that recall for granted, especially when the stakes are so high ie. near a road. He could end up paying with his life.

8. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

We know of two who are let off lead and they are very 'fiesty' (as some people call it) with other dogs and ignore their owners. So they shouldn't be letting mals off lead at all really?

9. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I often see two off lead Mals down by the river. There's no cars but if they ran over one of the (several) footbridges there is a tram line and a train track.

They often have a bit of a romp with Bizkit. I've never said anything to their owners because I have a pact with myself to keep my mouth shut!

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I have one of those too!!

metaldog likes this.
  11. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

We have two malamutes who today I saw offlead and I must admit I got hold of my two and immediately left.. I recently heard that they went into a ladys garden and threw her poor Scottie around. Thankfully the dog wasn't hurt but even still, I wouldn't trust them around my two.

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Quite! another reason why they shoudn't be off lead - their prey drive can confuse bunnies with small dogs, especially if they don't live with small dogs.

I dread to think of a day when they become as popular as other breeds and irresponsible owners get their hands on them. Mind you they probably won't keep them for long as they can be a right handful in their early years.
    People think Staffs are bad - I wouldn't want to encounter an out of control Mallie, one reason i'm glad they can't - well at least shouldn't - be let off.

13. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I work with dogs and I have no problems with Mallys, in fact I think they are gorgeous dogs and we have a lot of regulars in the salon. We've even had these two dogs in and they were fine, which is why I was so surprised when I heard. I hoped maybe someone had heard wrong though it does seem to be true. Usually if bigger dogs or any other dogs really are offlead I put mine back on purely because they can be a bit nutty.. But After hearing that, and they were offlead, I just wasn't keen. Poor Suki almost got ran over last time she met them, they were all on leads but one went towards Suki and she paniced and jumped out almost hitting a car, thankfully my fiance had a good grip of her lead.
    I really do love Mallys but I've heard they plan to breed these two and it worries me..
    I also know a Malamute who use to come into the salon but the owners had to have him put down, he was a rescue but he was extremely aggressive. We had major problems grooming him, He had to be muzzled the whole time, and owner had to say. He was a really lovely dog deep down but because his previous owners didn't put the work in, sadly he just wasn't controllable and that was with people who have had Mallys for years.. It's such a shame.

#13 MissBexi, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  14. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

wait? your training class does off lead work...yards away from a road??

thats not just irresponsible with a mal/sibe, thats just irresponsible in general!

(please correct me if iv misunderstood what you meant)

15. Balto-x

Balto-x PetForums VIP

No u haven't misunderstood it's a quiet road on a estate, he has them on longlines but he does lose them, he does say tell me what dog is going to run straight past five dogs to the road which is true because I no balto would have to stop and be nosey xx

16. SixStar

SixStar Banned

:eek: One that sees a cat on the other side of the road? Or a person who they like the look of? Or a dog who they consider more interesting than the ones there? Or a rabbit or squirrel? A kid bouncing a ball? Somebody riding a bike? I cannot believe a trainer would be so irresponsible :blink:

Find a new trainer whilst you still have a dog to train. No dog should be off lead near a road (however quiet- even quiet roads have cars on them!), nevermind ones that are still only learning recall :eek:

17. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i know this would definitely be the case for my two. they arent that interested in playing with other dogs. but if they saw a cat/fox/ball, theyd be off.

18. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Think Flynn would if he saw someone on a bike - he hates bikes, stupid boy! :rolleyes:

19. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

The trainer is a muppet and Id avoid him like the plague! How much work has he done with sibes and mals to come to this conclusion? :confused1:
    Balto is young in and even at his age and something as simple as the smell of a bitch in heat he WILL be off!

In my opinion they shouldnt be off really as Malmum is correct, they can and have often mistaken smaller dogs as furries who are fair game with dire consequences.
    Shorty has met numerous small dogs who have been very intimidated by her size and hid behind their owners etc and Shorty has tried to get round to see them. Being onlead I can pull her back so the wee dog is left in peace which I think is fair.
    I know she doesnt mean harm but its easy for her to scare and even hurt another dog who is trying to get away from her and being onlead I can control her, if she was off she would ignore me and continue to harrass :( Mallys dont tend to take "no I dont want to play" as an answer and with their selective hearing - I would NOT risk it.

#19 Starlite, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  20. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

This reminds me of the trainer we went to first with Peggy, our Foxhound. Insisted that ANY dog could be let off lead and trained to have perfect recall.

Obviously never owned a Foxhound, the nose switches on and she goes completely deaf. No way could we trust her off lead unless it was in a completely secure place.

Sounds like Mals are even worse!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice