Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male Urinary issues

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Nelbert, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

Good evening folks,
    I am hoping someone can point us in the right direction, me and my wife are currently having a real tough time with our boy, he's a 6 year old male neutered cat, he's no specific breed. Up until March his health has never been an issue, he's a happy boy with tons of energy and charisma, in March one evening we noticed him struggling to either pee or poo, after a couple minutes he started pooing all over the house (normally well litter trained) we knew this was unusual so got him straight to the vets, the found his bladder was blocked, it was a Friday night and said we had to go out of hours emergency vets as he needed a catheter and keeping in. The catheter stayed in for 2 hours until my boy pulled it out. The belive they had unblocked him and sent him on his way, he was fine after that up until this Friday roughly 3 months later, and we found him struggling to pee again Friday morning, off to the vets we go, they said he needed a catheter ASAP and placed one, it got to 7pm and they called us saying they close for weekend so we have to transport him to emergency vets for the weekend, we take him there, leave him and we get a call Saturday night saying they noticed a irregular heartbeat and they need to do bloods, so we approved, this morning they call saying bloods are normal his catheter is out you can come get him so we did. We've brought him home and he is peeing all over the house in random locations? And he's sitting in the litter tray for ages when he goes in, once he comes out he sits down to clean his genitals and his penis twitches and sprays urine all over the floor and his tail (like a sprinkler) he's also done a runny poo that was blood tinged. So called the emergency vets ASAP and said this can be normal, and not to worry. Please can some one advice if this is normal??? Thankyou

2. Johnnymiller100

Johnnymiller100 PetForums Newbie

We had similar with one of ours, struvite build up meant he couldn’t pee properly, he spent 2 nights with the vet when he was peeing blood and vomiting. the answer for us is a diet of Royal Canin urinary s/o, it’s been 2 years on that and he sounds like a running tap when he’s in the tray. Vet recommended we feed him solely on that, we did that for a year, it’s expensive but it’s never happened again even when we changed to just one meal of it per day.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Nelbert and welcome :)

I am very sorry to hear about your cat's bladder problems. The poor boy must be feeling pretty wretched and probably in pain. Has the vet prescribed pain relief for you to give him at home? This is essential with bladder problems such as his.

Wearing a catheter can cause soreness, inflammation, and some bleeding after it is removed. I think your boy is unable to control his bladder very well at present but this should settle down.

It could be more a case that he is suffering from "frequency" rather than out and out incontinence. This would be best managed by confining him to one room at present with his food, water, bed and litter trays. Provide at least 2 litter trays for him, so there is always a tray near at hand.

If possible choose a room that has an uncarpeted floor so it's easier to clean. Use an enzymatic cleaner to remove the smell of urine.

Bear in mind that if he is in pain (which I suspect he may be) he is likely to associate the litter tray with pain (this is what cats do - make associations between things) and this would cause him to avoid the tray and seek somewhere else to pee. But this should improve once the pain and inflammation goes.

Did the vet diagnose the cause of the blockage? e.g. do you know it your cat had/has struvite crystals or oxylate stones in his bladder ?

A cat with a bladder problem needs a lot of fluids in his diet and the only suitable diet is a wet food diet, absolutely no dry food at all. I would add a little water to his wet food for the time being, and also offer him home made chicken or turkey broth to drink, to get extra fluids into him. (Cats are not good drinkers of water, they have not evolved that way as their ancestors were desert dwellers who got the majority of their fluids from the body fluids of their prey e.g. a mouse is around 70% water).

if the vet has recommended a special recipe urinary veterinary food for now, please ensure you use the wet version only. Otherwise you can add a urinary support supplement to a wet food he is used to eating. [Note, he will not need to be on the veterinary food permanently but will need to be on a wet food diet permanently, to which you can add a urinary support supplement]

The urinary supplements are either Cystaid Plus or Cystease. Both are available from Amazon. (But if he is on a veterinary diet he won't need the supplement).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cystaid-Plus-cats-sprinkle-capsules/dp/B00DQ6AH4O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3W218IOO9RGCP&dchild=1&keywords=cystaid+plus+for+cats&qid=1591555894&sprefix=cystaid,aps,141&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feliway-D79310B-FELIWAY-Cystease-Capsules/dp/B00BWTP7QA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3W218IOO9RGCP&dchild=1&keywords=cystaid+plus+for+cats&qid=1591555873&sprefix=cystaid,aps,141&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQTlUNERPNE5WRFNNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjc2NjIwMjBWSllUNkJQUzRETyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTQxNDgxRklUWU5KUE0yS1dFJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Naomi Dawson likes this.
  4. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

Hi thanks for your response, glad to hear your little one is doing better, its a horrible thing for them to have, our vet said there's no build up of crystals or stones or anything, they said he's just got a spasming urethera on both occasions, we are at a loss why it's happening honestly.

5. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

6. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

Wow!!! Firstly thankyou so much for giving us your time and being so informative, you have been more informative than the vet that has actually treated him! So thankyou, So in response to your questions,
    Yes he is on pain relief as it stands he is on metacam (liquid form) and clavaseptin.

The vet has not recommended a specific diet and just said give him wet food and if you give him dry then add water (we are gunna stick to wet solely)

The vet said there were no crystals or stones in urine on this occasion or the first occasion in March, they have put it down Purley to a spasm of his urethera.

We will keep him in a hard floor room with the items you have suggested, also thanks for the advice on what cleaner is best as I was concerned about it starting to smell!

I barley ever see him drink at all, but tonight I have added extra water to his wet food which he dosent seem to mind at all.

I am going to look at the supplements now, can he start on these whilst he's on his medication? We have bought him a cat mate water fountain but he hasn't paid it a blind bit of interest. He is also pooing slightly in litter tray and then dragging his bum on the floor which he has only ever done today??

I have tried to attach a video of what his willy is doing when he tries to clean but it won't let me attach it. But it flickers and then shoots pee a cross the room.

Thankyou again.

chillminx likes this.
  7. Johnnymiller100

great post

we used cystaid on our boy for a while before he got sick enough for the vet and it definitely helped a lot. Fingers crossed no recurrence since the dietary change to urinary s/o, but one thing we also did was invest in a water filter so we only put filtered water in the fountain as we live in an area with lots of minerals in the tap water and the vet suggested this might help. It has made a massive difference to the fountain it doesn’t get a white crust around the edges anymore.

fingers crossed the thread starter gets to the bottom of it soon, horrible to see them struggling!

Calvine and chillminx like this.
  8. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

We have just invested in a cat mate filtered water fountain and he hasn't paid it a slight bit of interest hahaha, he hates us meddling haha. Hopefully he will figure it out soon and start to use it.

I really do hope we get him sorted, it's just frustrating that it's been so severe twice in 3 months. And it's so expensive, I don't know how we're going to keep up with the bills if it's going to always be this frequent.

9. Naomi Dawson

Naomi Dawson PetForums Newbie

Hi Nelbert,

Chillminx's post is spot on. Not much else to add, except to say that my boy had a complete bladder blockage when he was about 2 years old, and made a good recovery - he's now almost 12. Similar story to yours, he was very unsettled when we first got him home after having his catheter removed, and did a few pees in inappropriate places. This didn't last long though, and he went back to using his litter tray once the inflammation and pain subsided. His bladder problems have recurred a few times over the years, but have never been as severe as that first time, and have since been treated with medication alone.

When it happened the first time, I didn't spot the symptoms until he was really ill, but now I have a better idea what to look for - subtle changes in his behaviour, spending longer than usual in the litter tray etc. If I spot the telltale signs and get him to the vet early on, it seems to make a difference.

You should definitely feed a wet diet, and adding a little water to his food is probably a good idea. My boy won't drink plain water either; I tried a water fountain too, but he wasn't interested! My vet recommended that he takes Cystease for the rest of his life, along with a veterinary food. We've tried weaning him off these several times, but the problem always recurs, so the vet advised us to stick with the diet indefinitely. He does have small amounts of other foods as a treat now, but his main food is the veterinary stuff. I buy it online, which is much cheaper than getting it from the vet.

I would say your cat's behaviour is probably to be expected, but please keep a close eye on him. Inappropriate peeing is unpleasant, but as long as he is peeing, you know his bladder is working. If he stops peeing at all, or if you see him really struggling to urinate, this could indicate that he is blocked again. If this happens, you must get him straight back to the vet as an emergency.

Best wishes... I hope he is feeling better and back to his normal self soon!

chillminx likes this.
  10. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

Hey, Thanks for your response!

Wow its surprising how many cat parents have had this same issue, I just wish there was a cure for long term because this is the second time he's been fully blocked and both times have been within the last 3 months, it's just so concerning because both times he's had to be sedated and have a catheter fitted and kept in for 2 days atleast, and it's so traumatic for him and stresses him for days after, also both occurances have cost us no less than £1200 each time and like I said both within last 3 months, we're both now getting worried that this is going to happen every couple of months and we're not going to be able to afford his fees this often, it's heart breaking, we're really down in the dumps right now as we want the best for our boy but it comes at such an unaffordable price xx

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Nelbert - I think the pee spurting out may possibly be due to spasms in the urethra. Sometimes drugs called "spasmolytics" may be needed to help manage the urethral spasms. A combination of two different muscle-relaxing drugs may be used, a 'smooth muscle relaxant’ such as phenoxybenzamine or prazosin, with a ‘skeletal muscle relaxant’ such as diazepam or danteolene.

If the spurting pee continues to happen over the next 24 hours it might be worth speaking to the vet about whether s/he feels spasmolytic drugs would be helpful. While the swelling in the urethra settles down (with the help of the NSAID metacam) your boy may need to be on spasmolytics, and perhaps analgesics, for up to a week or as long as two weeks..

Most cats with urethral spasm are thought to have underlying feline idiopathic cystitis, (FIC). A helpful article by Icat Care on the management of FIC would be worth reading:

https://icatcare.org/advice/feline-idiopathic-cystitis-fic/

If repeated episodes of obstruction were to happen an operation called "perineal urethrostomy" can sometimes be done to widen the narrow end of the urethra. The surgery shouldn't be seen as first option though as it doesn't address the underlying cause, and the surgery itself is not without long term post-operative risks which can affect some cats.

Hopefully by managing his probable FIC (as outlined in the Icat Care article) it will ensure your boy has no more urethral blockages.

I am wondering as he is not passing much poo if he is a bit constipated and feels uncomfortable hence why he may be dragging his bottom along the floor. Is his poo formed and firm?

Another reason for him "scooting" his bottom could be that his anal glands are not emptying as they should do each time he poos. He needs a nice firm poo to help the anal glands empty, but not poo so hard and dry that he has to strain to poo. It is a matter of the right amount of pressure in the rectum.

Calvine likes this.
  12. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

Just an update guys,
    We called our normal vets this morning to request some muscle relaxant medication as them emergency vets advices us to as they had none in stock, they also asked us to call our normal vets today to get his heart listened to as they noticed a sudden irregular heartbeat that wasn't there before this episode but his bloods were fine. Our vets asked us how he is doing after being discharged from ER vets, we explained to them his peeing all over and blood in stool, they told us to take him in the check him. When we got there the vet manager came to see us and had a chat basically telling us that if we didn't have insurance he would be having the chat about pts. This was heartbreaking, we explained that our insurance don't cover most of the emergency vets costs and he said it's our choice moving forward. He took him into his room checked him and he has blocked again that's why he's twitching. He thinks he has a stone stuck and that's what is causing the twitching. Surprisingly he said that he did have stones on Friday morning when the catheter was first placed in and he could see about 3 stones. But we were never told this until today, we were told his blockage was purely spasmic. He has had to be sedated and another catheter inserted just now and we have to collect him tonight and transport him to emergency vets we're he will be observed over night. Were so deflated and heartbroken, we don't know how much more we can put him through, it dosent seem fair and if I'm totally honest our funds are nearly gone and we know the insurance are going to give us hell as they did in March. Thanks for listening guys xx

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Nelbert, I am so sorry to hear this upsetting news. Awful for you and for your poor boy. x It sounds as though he needs an urgent operation to remove the stone.

He is only 6 years old, it would be such a shame to have him pts for this, as it is treatable. Is there any way the vet could offer you a payment plan? I know they are not obliged to do so but some will, if they know you are a good and reliable customer.

Other than that what I would do is to start a crowd funding account straight away.. You will not be able to post links to it here on this forum, but you can do so on Facebook. You would be surprised how much money you can raise that way, not just from sympathetic friends and family, but from cat loving well-wishers who are strangers. I will contribute. :)

I would certainly do everything possible to save him as he is so young and has years of life ahead of him.

Please keep us updated. x

Johnnymiller100 likes this.
  14. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

Thank you again for such a heart felt response! We honestly are just so broken with this, we just want him to be healthy and happy again and right now it just feels so far away.

Were not very happy that he's having to go back to the emergency vets tonight as we prefer his day vets and they're compassion.

I don't know about a payment plan? They haven't mentioned it, but I will ask. The only payments that seems to be an issue is the out of hour charges from the emergency vets, such as admin charges, hospitalisation charges, blood charges so we would need to ask that question.

The vet today mentioned surgery and opening up the bladder to inspect and remove any concerns but said they're would be high risk to it and he would rather not do anything that invasive.

The fund raising sounds like a great idea but I don't use Facebook or social media really so would have no idea where to spread the word.

I would hate to loose him, he is our baby and he is still so young and head strong but I feel bad putting him through this so ofter xx

15. Johnnymiller100

I feel sad reading about your boys plight, what you describe sounds just like what our boy was doing, he had no control over his bladder and it was spurting out blood tinged wee all over the place. with our 14yr old at the time not having insurance I had to foot a big bill when we had blood/bile/wee everywhere at 23:30 on a Sunday night caused by these stones/struvite. It's so horrible that finances come into it isn't it.

I'd try the payment plan approach too, or even applying for a credit card with an interest free purchase promotion. I'd never normally advocate getting into debt, especially with covid uncertainties around jobs etc but I'd want to make sure I'd turned over all the rocks to try and find a solution.

For us the urinary s/o food made all the difference once they'd cleared the initial blockage. As far as I know, all the vets did after clearing the initial blockage was feed him on that and lots of fluids to make him pee and monitor that he wasnt getting blocked again. They were infinitely happier with what they were seeing in the scans each day until there was almost no stones/crystals left after 3 days and we got him back with the strict proviso to keep feeding the urinary s/o.

I really hope you find a way to get him the treatment he needs.

chillminx likes this.
  16. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

Another update guys!

Vet has just called again, and said the catheter went it alot easier this time and...... A huge stone has come out! They seem very positive as the vet manager called and said he likes to make the positive calls. We are so very happy with this news now. We are not going to get our hopes up too much as we did this yesterday and it went wrong, but this sounds so much more positive!!

He is still having to go to the emergency vets tonight for observation but we may be able to collect him in the morning. I just can't understand how they said it was a spasm in March and a spasm yesterday and today saying its stones and a huge stone passed today. Can anyone advise if it's possible they missed the Stone in march and its been around his bladder all this time and just caused him a problem again??..

Thanks guys

17. Johnnymiller100

our cat was having ultrasound scans on his bladder every day he was in, (they showed me the images and how much progress he'd made) this is how they knew he was getting better and what amount of formations were in his bladder. I keep going on about it but we had random bouts of pink wee and accidents outside the litter box for a good few years before it came to a head and he got blocked up and we discovered the urinary s/o food pouches via our vet. Ask your vet if its appropriate for your boy to help manage the condition like it has been for ours? obviously all cats/situations are different but I can only speak from our experience with similar sounding experience.

Good news that a stone has come out! fingers crossed for you!!

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

What a relief to hear this! Now we can be cautiously optimistic he will get better. :)

Tbh I was a bit surprised when you said there were no stones, as it is usually stones that cause repeat complete blockages like your boy was having. If he has had repeat ultrasound scans of his bladder I don't know why the stones were missed. One would think big stones would be obvious.

Are the stones struvite or calcium oxalate? Different conditions contribute to the formation of different types of stones. Some of these causes include::
    • Decreased water intake
    • Urinary tract infection
    • High concentration of magnesium, ammonium and phosphate minerals in the urine
    • Urine pH favourable to the formation of various crystals
    • Certain drugs and dietary supplements
    • Congenital liver shunt
    • Breed predisposition (research seems to suggest some lines of neutered male Burmese, Persian/Himalayan cats may have a genetic predisposition to developing calcium oxalate stones.

A prescription diet to dissolve the stones and modify the urine pH may help. Lithotripsy (breakdown of stones with shock waves) has been used successfully in some cases. An increase in water consumption is highly advisable.

Sending many good vibes to your dear boy for his recovery. x

Naomi Dawson and Johnnymiller100 like this.
  19. Naomi Dawson

Naomi Dawson PetForums Newbie

Good news that he's passed a stone. If that's what was blocking him, hopefully he might now be on the road to recovery! Like chillminx, I also thought it was strange to have such a severe blockage with no stones.

As before, I agree with all that chillminx said - if the vet can identify the type of stones and get him on the appropriate prescription diet, that should help, and hopefully prevent a recurrence.

I sympathise regarding the financial situation - it's an expensive business! I was lucky, as my insurance has always paid out, but I guess it depends on your policy. I hope you can sort out some sort of payment plan with your vet, as I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Sending more good vibes for your boy, and very best wishes to you - all fingers, toes and paws crossed for a good recovery. Please keep us updated.

#19 Naomi Dawson, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    chillminx likes this.
  20. Nelbert

Nelbert PetForums Junior

Wow thankyou for your responses, your kind words have actually made my dry eyes shed a few tears haha. You are a wonderful community and I look to stay on here as the advice is amazing and the support something unbelievable.

UPDATE
    So we transported him from the emergency vets back to his usual vets this morning to be observed, they called a short time ago saying the veterinary director/owner is now invested in Albus (my boy) and has said all his attention will be focused on him, they have asked permission to carry out a x-ray to which we have autherised as we are already so heavily invested into getting him right. I'm not sure if they have sent the stone off to be checked. I did ask and they said they will get back to me on that. They are xraying to check if there are more stones. Once they call with the results they are going to give us a plan of what we need to do, I.e surgery to remove stones if there are anymore or get him home and monitor if he has no more stones. This is our first time hearing of stones for his blockages and I'm just hoping we can get him right. Our vet bit is currently around the £3500 Mark and the majority of that cost is from the emergency vets, we have insurance with animal friends we have the prestige lifetime cover but when this happened in March they didn't cover much of the emergency vet charges. I'm just praying he dosemt need surgery as it will be a difficult desicion as funds are running out.

Fingers crossed guys xx

Johnnymiller100 and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice