Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male of female puppy, pro's & cons?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by muffinpup, May 17, 2010.

1. muffinpup

muffinpup PetForums Junior

Hi, I'm researching getting a puppy, I think we will be getting a Cavalier King Charles, the more I look into things I can't beleive how many questions come up.
    At the moment I don't really have a preference whether to get a male of female puppy, I just wondered are there any particular pro's/cons to getting either?
    I will be looking to get my puppy spayed/neutered so I'm obviously not looking to breed.
    I am particularlly leaning towards getting a CKC as I have heard they are great with kids and easy to train and as we do have kids and it will be our first dog.
    Thanks

2. xshelly_stanliex

xshelly_stanliex PetForums VIP

I dont think there are any pros or cons to getting either tbh, i personally prefer male dogs having 3 :D lol. Seeing as you will be getting them either spayed or castrated, maybe its just a case of the one you fall in love with :D x

3. muffinpup

Yes thats what I thought too. I just know if I have a firm choice in my mind, you just know when I go to look at some puppies I'll fall in love with one thats the complete opposite.
    At least thats one more question off the list, or at least one that I maybe don't have to give too much thought about.
    I have always seemed to have male pets up to now, we have 2 male cats at the moment and have has 4 cats over the years and all have been male, not sure why, it just always seems to turn out that way.

4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

cavaliers are good first time dogs, good natured wee things! just be sure to go to a good breeder. they are breed prone to many health issues. so make sure the breeders you talk with have had all relevent health tests done. im sure someone else will be along to give more advice on that.

with regard to male or female, thats just personal choice!

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

it's great you are thinking about getting a CKCS. They are great little dogs, good choice!! :thumbup:

Male or female, its personal choice. However, it's always best to spay a female after her first season (so you'll have to deal with a season), and always best to neuter a male when he's around a year old.

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

You often find that people who have had a lot of dogs tend to prefer one sex or the other and some people think that male dogs bond better with female owners, and female dogs bond better with male owners. Depending on who you speak to, you'll get a bewildering array of different opinions. The upshot is that since you haven't got a preference, you might as well just go for the puppy you like best - or for the one who chooses YOU :D

PS - if you choose a really good breeder and tell them what sort of dog you are looking for, he/she should be able to point you in the direction of the particular puppy that would probably suit you best.

For instance, the trainer I go to, who competes in obedience, got a GR puppy and the breeder, having spent more time with the litter than anyone, pointed out the ones who seemed to have more toy drive etc.

If it's your first dog, you'd maybe want a "softer" puppy and a good breeder will know their litter.

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

With or without neutering, I've always preferred dogs. I will say this though, I did find it a lot easier toilet training the girls.

8. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

when we went to get Zipper I was adament I wanted a little girl - there was only 2 pups left 1 girl and 1 boy - the girl was very nervous so at 1st I was going to walk away as I definately wanted a girl - but then Zipper was so friendly and so loving 10 minutes in his company and he'd won me over ;)

What I'm trying to say is go with temperment and your heart :thumbup:

I've found now that I have 1 of each - Lilly likes to be near people all the time but likes to be stroked and cuddled on her terms.
    Zipper is happy with his own company but when we are there he seek out cuddles constantly.

9. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

The only difference I can think of is if Trigger is out in the garden with me whilst I am hanging the washing out etc, I always know if he has done a wee whilst I am not looking by checking if the hairs are wet on his boys part:eek:

10. muffinpup

Thanks very much for all the advice, that may be a really good idea actually, Its probobly best if I don't have a set idea about which sex, I'm sure as you say, a good breeder should know the puppies well and be able to help advise, and also, I can concentrate on the personallity of the puppies and temprement.
    I'm picking up so much advice on here, there are so many questions I have so I'll probobly be pestering for a while yet. lol!
    thanks again everyone

11. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

haha i do that too!!

12. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

Phew, glad I am not the only one:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice