Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male neutered and unspayed female

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Amy Byer, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Amy Byer

Amy Byer PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I've had my boy since he was a baby for about 6 months and he free roams in my flat. I recently rescued a doe she is about a year old and I want them to free roam together. She hasn't been spayed so I kept them separated by a x-pen so they can get used to each other while I get my boy fixed. I got him neutered a few weeks ago so I thought I would let them mingle with each other. Problem with the girl is that she has been kept in a cage her whole life so while she does her business in the litter box, she poops like crazy out of the box. When she sees my boys while separated, she does the tiniest pee now and then.

When I introduced them they groom each other and both mount each other and no fights. I'm happy they're getting on well.

Problem I'm finding is that she's either getting super excited or spraying for territorial reasons. My question is will this go on forever if she's not spayed? Because we're in lockdown I can't find a vet who will do it as it's non essential. I want her free roaming with my boy as soon as possible so I don't keep her caged... Does anyone have any advise? I don't want her spraying around my whole house!

2. Merixie

Merixie PetForums Junior

A few bunnies get spring feelings and can act out more than what they usually do. Maybe she wants your buck to breed her and she’s pumped with hormones.

It can take a few months for it to calm down, doe that are controlled buy hormones can be quite the ride ☺️

3. Amy Byer

Amy Byer PetForums Newbie

Thank you that's great to know! What would you recommend in terms of keeping her in a pen? I really am against cages and would love her to be free roam with my boy but I don't want her peeing everywhere if she's always Randy around him lol

4. Merixie

Merixie PetForums Junior

Keep her in the pen until she calms down, she can get a bit of time outside the pen while you supervise her.

It can also be stressful for your buck having a girl that wants to jump on him, so you can keep her away until she calms down or if she settles down later. Otherwise wait until spayed to let her be with your boy☺️

Myself have an indoor cage for my free roaming bunny. He have no problem spending time in the cage and will still binky and play around.

Right now he’s spending time in the cage while my other bunny (previous outdoor bunny that lost a bonding mate) is roaming around in the room. I’m trying to bond them, so they need to spend time next to each other and my indoor bunny can’t be left unsupervised in the bedroom. Otherwise he will pee on my bed, the reason why he’s in the cage while the other bunny get’s the room

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice