Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male dog maturity

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Vickers, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Vickers

Vickers PetForums Newbie

Hi just new here any wondering if anyone would know roughly what age a male presa canario would reach the fertile stage? I've heard it can be later in larger breeds. Our boy is 9 months old and so is our girl, she has just came into heat and last thing in the world we want is puppies but they get awful separation anxiety when parted. Hes showing no interest other than just cleaning her etc. She will be spayed but wanted her to have first cycle. Thanks

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

He can absolutely impregnate her at this age.
    Don't allow him to do so.
    Knickers likely wont stop him, nor will a crate. They need to be physically separated; different rooms or even different houses if he frets so much.

It's also a good idea to work on getting them used to being away from each other. Long term it'll save both you and them a lot of stress.

3. Vickers

Vickers PetForums Newbie

Thanks, yes don't want to chance it its last thing we would want but was just curious with him being a large breed was it true it could be later but I agree they do have to be separated its just difficult because they have been together since they where both 12 weeks old. I think kinder thing would be him going to stay with family member for a while because separating in house would be a nightmare

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Sperm becomes fertile as soon as the dog starts sexual maturity (4 months onwards) so yes he could impregnate her...and as he is already showing interest they need to be separated while the bitch is in season.
    Even if he couldn't impregnate I would still split them up because living with an in season bitch is stressful for everyone concerned and if he was to mount her he could cause damage if she isn't up for things.

If they have separation anxiety when separated then you also need to work on the littermate syndrome that is starting to show...and in big dogs you do not want that at all.

LinznMilly, Vickers, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I think that's very sensible. It would probably have to be from as soon as she starts coming into season for then about 3 weeks. Better to keep them apart for slightly longer than needed than for something to happen. He's certainly fertile, so I'd get him off to a family member sooner rather than later.

Lurcherlad, Vickers, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Large breeds can mature later in the sense of growth and emotional maturity, but your boy will be very much fertile!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

At his age, he's perfectly able to mate her and he will.

Are they Brother and Sister?

8. Vickers

Vickers PetForums Newbie

No they aren't brother and sister, finn is a presa canario and pippa an American staff. At the moment he's showing no isn't really only cleaning her (well appears to be cleaning her) but yeh its not worth the risk so we are trying to get finn a home for a while as heartbreaking as it is.

9. Vickers

Vickers PetForums Newbie

So I'm back to try and get another little bit of advice, we sent finn away to a friends for 2 weeks there and just got him home yesterday and he's still going crazy around our bitch. She came into heat over 3 weeks ago and appears to be back to normal like no bleeding etc but his behaviour is still crazy and she's not happy. So just wondering from experience when male dog will have passed this stage? We are going to have to send him away again and try again

10. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

When bitches stop bleeding is typically when they're most receptive - that's when they breed. He will need another two weeks away from her to be safe.

O2.0 likes this.
  11. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

She is likely at her most receptive right now.
    Honestly, unless you have had your eye on them 100% of the time 24 hours a day and can say with 100% certainty that they haven't mated, I would assume that they have and get your girl spayed. If she is an amstaff and he's a presa, she is far too small to have any puppies from him and it could kill her.
    Having her spayed while in heat is a far safer alternative. Are you in the UK? I'm assuming not since you have an amstaff.

12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Is your bitch 'seeing him off' quite aggressively?

If she is, then the likelihood is she is out of her receptive phase and won't tolerate his advances.

Often, a young male is a bit slow on the uptake and will keep trying, but she will make it plain to him she isn't interested and he will give up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice