UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Male cat subdued, bad tummy and weird tongue smacking since neutering op and worming treatement

427 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  vivien 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I hope you're all doing well.

I'm new here.

I have a male cat who's around 2 years old. He was a stray cat that my fiance and I adopted. He's very playful and strong.

We took him to the vet on Monday to get neutered and microchipped.
The operation was a success, however, the vet also found a worm on him. I believe it was a tape worm. So she gave him a worming treatement which she applied behind his neck which he will need to be given again next month and the month after that.

Since coming home on Monday, he hasn't been himself. He is extremely subdued, doesn't eat as much food, has diarrhea, his stomach sounds so bad and he keeps making this weird smacking with his tongue as if he has a dry mouth (which I don't think he has because he drinks water).

He's been in bad shape, but especially this evening. I called the emergency vet and they informed me that the diarrhea is probably from the anesthesia he had during the op. I went to the emergency 24 hour vet that gave me some probiotics for him to take for three days, whilst monitoring him.

What's going on? I was told by our vet that after the op he would only need to be kept indoors for 24 hours and that he's fine to play and go out after that time. It's been 4 days and he's getting worse.

Is it the worming medication that's doing this to him? Or something else?

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum. I agree with @Lurcherlad. I have had this with one of my boys. One took badly to the GA. and had to be re admitted and go on a drip. He also had to have a stimulant to make him eat again. One of my other boys gets this lip smacking when he gets a furball. He ends up having an anti sickness injection. I am surprised your vet didn't give him an anti sickness injection when his op was over. My vet does. I would get him to the vet ASAP and get him checked over. If your vet has more than one vet working at the practice, I would see them and get a second opinion. Unfortunately not all cats take well to GA.

Viv xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.