Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

male cat - strong smelling urine

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lucysmommy, May 1, 2011.

1. lucysmommy

lucysmommy PetForums Junior

hiya

we have 1.5yrs old cat called Diego and we love him to bits except his urine really smells very strong and we are having to change his litter every 1/2 days and have tried numerous different litters etc

he has been nuetered for well over 7months now - we thought this would have helped but it hasnt

he is fed a mix of dry and wet food over the day - more dry than wet - i have heard that dry food can make the urine stronger?

does any one else have any tips etc to help us?

thanks

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Wet food is certainly better for cats than dry. I am not sure about the smell aspect of it, it may be more concentrated as they are not getting the moisture from the wet... makes sense in my mind :)

I would definitely try switching over to the wet to see if it helps, purely for the health of the cat rather than the smell.

What litter do you use? I use oko plus and never smell any wee (poo is another story)

3. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

does sound like he's not getting enough water, do you see him drink from the bowl?

as well as upping his wet food it may be worth getting a fountain - I have the cat-mate - cheap, simple and beyond easy to maintain - it encourages them to drink more

4. lucysmommy

The thought had crossed my mind about him not getting enough water but I have seen him drinking his and the dogs water

We use bob Martin crystals which help a bit but not enough for £5 for a tiny bag

Will deffo look out for the fountain

5. gloworm*mushroom

Bob Martin products are rubbish :)

Have you tried oko plus or worlds best before (IMO oko is just WB but cheaper lol!)

You only have to get rid of the soiled bits and I really cant smell anything.

6. lucysmommy

Where do you buy this IMO stuff from?

7. gloworm*mushroom

Oh sorry IMO is just In My opinion. Oko plus is the litter I use. You can get it from pets at home, or from zooplus. Prices are similar but its a smidge cheaper on zooplus.

It does look expensive at first (about £8 for 10litres) but as you only remove the soiled stuff it lasts a long time :)

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Here's the litter Clumping Oko Plus Cat Litter 10ltr by Cat's Best | Pets at Home

Though you can get it cheaper online from Zooplus in larger quantities.

That bag should last you at least 4 weeks! You fill a litter tray up to 5cm depth, then all you do is scoop the poop and weewee balls out a few times a day, which leaves it as good as new.

Gloworm*Mushroom GMTA :p

9. lucysmommy

Thanks will pick some up Tuesday :)

Also we use a closed in cat litter tray cos he likes to kick his litter every where lol might get an open one so it reminds me to clean it everyday

10. gloworm*mushroom

The litter is flushable, so I have my tray near the loo. everytime I go, I clean the litter tray (as does my boyfriend)

Cleaning 'as they do it' wherever possible will help with the smell. I am not saying run after them everytime they go, but when I see it, I clean it :)

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

With every type of litter and tray it's best to clean out the poop bits a couple/few times a day anyway hun.

Cats are fickle buggers you know, they don't really like using a dirty tray. One of mine will not use any tray that already has a poop sitting in it :lol:

12. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Don't suppose anyone knows how much Oko you would near per 28 days for 8 litter trays? Just so I can work out costs for a clumping litter when the kittens are bigger. Thanks!

13. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

8 litter trays!!!!! i cant even get my head around that lol i have one litter tray with my two cats as they have never had a problem sharing but i will be going up to two when i bring my kitten home.

14. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

i am using the crystal litter at the moment, when i just had thelma the litter would last about 3 weeks and no smell what so ever but now i have two it really isnt as good, not for the price anyway. Just finishing the last bag and i will be buying somthing else.

15. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Gratch and Kerry shared the two we had, got a shallower one when the kittens arrived for litter training and got another big one since there'll soon be 6 cats running around the house instead of 2 :D Going to have 8 altogether just incase any of them are fussy :)

16. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

this oko stuff is looking really good 26.99 is not bad at all for 40L!!!!

17. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Gratch if you got 4 or 5 of the jumbo trays you might be OK. They take 1 10l bag per 6-8 weeks on raw fed cats and perhaps every 4 weeks for cats fed on regular food.

On that basis I think you'd get away with a 40l bag from Zooplus per month. Though you might need more, so perhaps 2 40l bags for the first month and one per month for the next few months until you need an extra top up bag ... kwim?

:crazy:

Just as an aside note. If you were to think about raw feeding a little more, a 454g bag of mince from DAF is between 44p & 70p each. You could cut your feeding costs quite dramatically for all those cats! You would need to buy Taurine to put in the mince (about £4 for 100g which will last months) and it's also a god idea to give them chicken wings and other extras, but even that won't cost too much. Plus of course your litter costs would be even less, and hopefully any future dental costs ... and your flat would smell better as raw fed cats poops don't stink :D

18. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

the mind boggles lol its going to cost a fortune in litter. I dont think i would even have space for 8 litter trays!

19. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Thanks, will look into that when I don't think the kittens will try eat the litter :D Raw feeding is something I want to look into doing but I'm terrified of messing up and doing more harm than good! I'll need to research it for some time before I'm ready to take that step but giving them a bit of raw to chew on now may be a good start. Shall go check out the sticky in Health & Nutrition

20. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Aye, wait till they are about 10 weeks + to try the Oko, though it would help you if you got stocked up a little and sorted your litter trays before hand ;) Those jumbo litter trays pop up now and again on the zooplus eBay store ... Oh, they don't seem to be registered on eBay anymore :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice