Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male cat in heat!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Elisa Roselli, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Elisa Roselli

Elisa Roselli PetForums Newbie

:)Hi everyone:) sorry in advance for the LONG post.

My Odin is 5 months old, and he should get neutered asap, but because of Covid the vet highly suggested to wait for the end of lockdown (annoying, but I guess necessary..? :Banghead).
    Anyway, I’m not 100% sure as I’m a first time cat owner, but I’m think my cat can feel some female in heat around - he’s very VERY loud lately (more then usual), he always looks not satisfied (always asking for food even straight after I fed him, always asking for attention more then usual, etc). Of course I try to give him as much attention as I can, which is quite a lot as I am working from home and I don’t leave the house if not for groceries shopping. I try to feed him a little more then normal, as he’s always asking for it, but nothing seems to calm him down.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can help my male cat in heat calm down? I feel like he’s suffering so much during these heats, and I want to help him ease the stress.

PS: this behaviour should be cause by any health issues, because we went to the vet for checks up 2 times in the last 2 weeks, and he’s healthy (a part from a little otitis which is being treated). Also, when I asked the vet, she confirmed that is most probably heat.

Thank you in advance everyone:Shamefullyembarrased

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Ring the vet and tell them he is displaying overtly male behaviour, and needs castrating ASAP. You could egg it up a bit and say he's started spraying in the house.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would call around and find a vet who will neuter him. If you wait until the end of lockdown he may start spraying and that's going to be hard to deal with once it starts. Plus the risk of him getting out the more desperate he gets. Once he's out he may not come back.

lorilu and Elisa Roselli like this.
  4. Elisa Roselli

Yes, that’s what I thought as well :D I thought of telling them he started spraying so they would do it now. I guess I’ll opt for this. In the meantime if you have any suggestion on how to help him out, feel free to share them with me, thank you:)

Calvine likes this.
  5. Elisa Roselli

Thank you, I have emailed now my vet and insisted in neutering him there and now. If they will refuse, I will definitely ring all the vets in Cambridgeshire ;)

LinznMilly, Calvine, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Males don't go into heat, only females. He is simply a sexually maturing male.
    He may also just be bored, wanting more interactive playtime. Entire males don't tend to constantly ask for food, he may need a diet adjustment.

Do phone other vets, hopefully you'll find one who will see him asap. I don't know when your lockdown is expected to end, but its better to neuter him sooner than later.

Tigermoon likes this.
  7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I can't help thinking some places are blaming lockdown for everything. My cat had a dental procedure during lockdown; I would not consider that more of an emergency than castration. If Odin did start to spray in the house, it could well become a habit which was difficult to eliminate.

lorilu likes this.
  8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I know, it's strange, this huge boom in lock down pets, you'd think the vets would be scrambling to accommodate all the extra neuters not turning them away!

Calvine likes this.
  9. Lunarags

Lunarags Dedicated cat slave

Sounds like he's very frustrated bless him. There's not much you can do other than get him neutered asap. Lockdown seems to be an excuse for everything. Considering the kitten crisis at the moment i would consider neutering an essential procedure. I have a cat who needs dental treatment. She needs several teeth out. This obviously causes her pain but apparently this isnt essential enough. I guess you have to be a dying cat to get seen by a vet these days :Banghead

10. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Our vets are carrying on as normal which is a godsend. I'm sure if you ring around you will find one who will do it.

Calvine likes this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Well, they told me mine needed to be done; when she was vaccinated they gave her a quick MOT. She's only four so I was taken aback, but when I looked, she certainly had a couple that looked dodgy, tho' she had shown no signs of discomfort. So the vet then could hardly then turn round to me and say tough, she's got two bad teeth, but it's lockdown so we won't do it for God knows how long. There was a bit of a backlog as they had been unable to do much during the first lockdown.
    And dental is around £500, you would think they would make an effort to fit her in.
    @Charity: Ours have been pretty normal since June. You can't go into the consulting room, but they are not turning any procedures away as far as one can tell . . . have had dental for one and T4/kidney function bloodtests for the old drama queen.

#11 Calvine, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  12. Lunarags

Lunarags Dedicated cat slave

Thats exactly what ours did. Its so frustrating to hear that other vets are doing these procedures whilst my cat has been left in pain. Maybe its time for me to think about looking around for another vet

13. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

@Rlouise that's really bad :( My vet isn't doing routine or preventative procedures, so my cat's missed his regular scale and polish, but they reiterated that if he shows any signs of pain or is finding it difficult to eat, I should call straight away and they'll get him sorted. Whereabouts are you roughly? Maybe someone can recommend a vet that can help? Same goes for the OP.

14. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I wouldn't be thinking about changing vets I would be doing it.
    Any animal with dental problems needs treatment and not left until it is "convenient " My vets are operating fairly normally as far as treatment is concerned ,clients are not allowed in the consulting rooms but other than that animals are still being seen in the majority of cases.

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

So no vaccinations?

@Rlouise: Not sure where you are, but my neighbour got her cat's dental quite recently at Vets For Pets (cat was already registered there) . . . they are a chain inside Pets@Home I believe, so I guess if one is doing treatments, the others would be, including one near to you. Otherwise, just ring around; I'm sure you will find one, though not sure what the waiting times will be.

#15 Calvine, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Yes, I thought they were classified as an ''essential service'' after the last lockdown. I know one of mine was booked in for vax last March, missed it by a day because of lockdown, but told that they were prepared to do them three months late and she was done in June. At that time they had obviously been expecting lockdown#1 to be over rather sooner than it was.

buffie likes this.
  17. NaomiM

They're only doing them if they're more than a year overdue. Pebbles will be soon - he had his last lot of boosters in March 2019. Is that bad?
    (I think they are probably doing initial vaccs for kittens/puppies etc, as these would be deemed essential I imagine.)

18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I don't know - does that mean you have to start from scratch? A year is a long time. I remember with one of mine on meds they kept putting off and putting off the jab and the vet said he didn't care ''as long as it didn't go over six months''. And the recent one said three months. So many conflicting opinions. But I am sure I read somewhere quite recently that many vets are now saying that our pets are over-vaccinated (which in itself is a BAD THING!!) and are trying to get vax changed to one every two years. Once mine get to middle age, I stop the vaccinations anyway. I remember a horse vet saying to me ,''How old is she now? I wouldn't bother with the ??flu?? any longer. These jabs are very strong''. He could have taken the cash and done it, but he was one of the old school who thought about the animal rather than his pocket. If it had been racehorse/competition horse it would have been different, though what they will have been doing this year with the horses is anyone's guess. Of course, if you need to board your cat then they want the vax up to date. If your vet is saying that they will only do them if they are a year overdue, then you do wonder why are they doing them every 12 months in the first place (if you get my drift!).

buffie and NaomiM like this.
  19. NaomiM

I agree, and one reason I haven't been worrying too much is that I know there's a few on here who advocate only vaccinating every 2 years or not at all. He won't be boarding (we stopped doing that as he didn't cope well last time we did), but I am a little concerned it might invalidate his pet insurance as it's one of their conditions. Hopefully they'll be understanding given the situation - they've always paid up without quibbles so far, even when it was borderline as to whether he met the conditions or not.

20. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Pet Plan only exclude anything that could have been prevented by vaccination , Meeko ,indoor with access to a run in the garden was vaccinated as a kitten ,then first booster 12 months later and has had nothing since , with my vets approval .

lorilu and spotty cats like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice