Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male cat getting frisky with female kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tig'N'Soot, May 18, 2010.

1. Tig'N'Soot

Tig'N'Soot PetForums Member

I have had my 12 year old Sooty since he was 4 years old, and sadly we lost his brother in November, so we decided to make the numbers up and in March brought in three kittens, now 12 weeks old, one female and two male.

So far Sooty hasn't taken too well to them because we only have a small house and have to seal off certain rooms while we are at work so that they don't destroy our belongings, so they are kind of crammed into a small area really. But they know their place around him and he generally hides under our bed during the day while they race around keeping themselves amused.

Sooty was castrated (I believe) before I got him but has always liked to get 'friendly' with sofa cushions now and again.

Tonight he was doing his usual cushion thing but decided at the last minute to hop off and jump onto our little Tiger-lily female kitten, biting the back of her neck and looking as though he wanted more! I brushed him off of her and he shot off into the next room.

Now, she is only tiny and I am worried that he is trying things on with her while we are not here. I have checked his bits and bobs and we are sure that he no longer has any lumpy bits down below, and we always assumed that because he has this likening for cushions that he was castrated a little bit later on in life and still gets the urge.

Our other two kittens, Thomas & Noah, are just gorgeous, but we have noticed that Noah too likes to sidle up to Tiger-lily and we did find him in the mating position with her the other day, although he was only licking her on the neck at the same time.

We think that this is all probably normal behaviour in creatures, but we have never had kittens before, or kittens mixed in with adults, and all of mixed sex, and we are slightly worried about it all.

Need we worry?

Anyone else been in the same boat with their pets?

We will be taking the kittens in for their booster vaccinations in two weeks time so will discuss things with the vet then. But in the meantime would be interested to hear your opinions on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I have tried to attach a photo of them but failed miserably!! Any tips in the department?

2. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

One of my male cats sometimes gets frisky with one of our girls - all are neutered, but most have been neutered ater they were breeding toms as they were all adult ferals when caught - it's mainly in the spring time though, some do it some don't!!! I wouldn't worry at all, the novelty will wear off, and when you have your female neutered and she grows up a bit I'm sure she'll tell him where to go!!!

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I would also look at other behaviour he is exhibiting as this could be stress related as well. I don't know much a bout this but have read that this can be a common occurance in neutered male cats, that likely happens when the cat is seeking attention. Although this behavior can be brought on by a traumatic experience like an injury or surgery, or when a new cat or person is brought into the household. How is he acting in genereal, doe she appear happy, is he sleeping more, wailing more, eating well, going to the toilet ok?
    Maybe give him he solution is to give him a bit of extra attention & space, it can't be too exciting for him if he is hidden under the bed all day although I realise that all most cats do is sleep all day!!

4. Tig'N'Soot

Thanks for your posts. Soot is getting friendly with a cushion for about the third time this evening as I type!

To be honest, he has always done this but not to this level of frequency. And if I think about it he has done it more since we lost his brother back in November. Since that happened he has had so much attention from me it is unreal. And even with the arrival of the kittens he still gets the same amount of cuddles and love from me as he always has, but maybe he sees me giving the other three similar attention and he doesn't like it.

So routine wise he is pretty much the same.

Sleeps on our bed with us during the latter hours of the night.
    Breakfast in his usual spot when I get up, the kittens I feed up the other end of the kitchen.
    Sleeps all day, usually that would be on the bed but now it is often under the bed if the kittens are running wild in the morning, but he is always on the bed again when I get home from work or in his sunny spot by the window.
    I feed them all when I get home.
    Kittens run wild for a bit, he tries to sleep in the living room but normally to no avail and ends up sitting there watching them play.
    He'll go out for a bit and they will sleep.
    He'll come in around 9pm and lay with me on the couch as he usually does every evening. Even if the other three are on the couch he is happy with that.
    He then goes out at around midnight and comes back in again in the early hours and comes and sleeps with us.

He is feeding and going to the toilet as normal. He will swipe at them all if they come too close. He looks a bit grumpy in general but if I pick him up and walk about with him like I usually do he purrs like mad in my ear.

Before we got the kittens I did mention to our vet that he gets friendly with cushions quite a bit and we did originally think that all three were female and were worried for them! The vet said you can get a plug in thing that gives off a scent that calms adult males sexual urges down. I might invest in one.

I guess when Tiger-lily is big enough to swipe back at him and tell him she isn't interested it might all work itself out.

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Horris does this to Soda every so often, Sometimes I intervene other times I make sure she can fight him off, she gives him a few could smacks in the head.

Horris was neutered when he was Four so he had his mojo for a long time.

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I've read about Feliway that can be used as a spray or as a plug in on here quite alot & it seems to get quite good reviews.
    If he seems ok generally then it might just take yoiur other cats to let him know they're not happy with his behaviour for him to stop.
    All my neutered males have been such greedy cats they're only interested in one thing ....food not humping cushions!
    :lol:

7. Tig'N'Soot

Thanks for the post about Feliway Cleo (just noticed you are only up the road from me, I'm in Shefford! :)). I did wonder if the vet was just trying to flog me something that was going to be a waste of money. I think I will invest in one, see if it makes a difference.

In the meantime I will try to deter Soot from pouncing on little Tiger when I see him showing interest. She is so tiny compared to him! I feel so sorry for her! Soot hasn't actually got friendly with any furniture objects this evening. All four of them have been more interested in my smoked salmon dinner and our pet lizard!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice