Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male cat bothering female kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Swimming Kermit, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Swimming Kermit

Swimming Kermit PetForums Newbie

Since introducing our 2 girls (aged around 7 months) to our 2 older boys, life has been calm and peaceful! Or so we thought...

One of the girls, Emily, took a particular shine to 3 year old Button. The pair of them have spent hours washing each other, playing and generally having a good time.

But the good time for Button seems to be completely out of control and suddenly, for the last 2 weeks now, he takes any opportunity to mount her, holding her tightly by the scruff of the neck and then after trying to mate with her, literally drags her around the room by the scruff. All the time she is wriggling and making little mewing noises. He is much bigger than her so she is completely helpless underneath him.

And when I say all the time, it really is. Whenever he gets the opportunity to pin her down, he does, so she is starting to spend more and more time hiding under the bed away from him. But interestingly, when she does come out, she goes straight back to him and rubs around him purring!! So in a way, just encouraging him to do it again.

Any idea why this is happening - I feel so sorry for her, he just bothers her constantly. All of them have had the "snip" so at least I don't have to worry about the pitter patter of tiny paws.

2. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

I have heard that sometimes (if he enters her)it could give her an infection.No idea how your going to stop it though,maybe a bottle of spray water and spray him when he does it.

3. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

What a difficult situation. Did they definitely get both his nads when they gave him the snip? Is she showing any signs of being in call? My first port of call would be a hormone check for him, and, if she' sshowing signs of season, one for her too. Sometimes, a little bit of reproductive tissue is left behind after the op, and it can be enough to leave the cat thinking they're entire.

You could try a Supreleron implant for your boy if his testosterone remains high. This is, in effect, neutering as it takes the hormone levels way, way down.

4. Swimming Kermit

Swimming Kermit PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Emily is showing absolutely no signs of being in heat but every time she walks near Button, he is sniffing the air and all around her, before jumping on her!

As a first step I will take him for a hormone test as you suggested and then maybe take her for a check.

In the meantime, I may use the spray bottle to dampen his ardour! :001_tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice