Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male And Female Husky Bit keen

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kato&Tessa, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Kato&Tessa

Kato&Tessa PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    I’ve got 2 huskies who I’ve collected at the shelter. I’ve been visiting them for the past 8 weeks and took them home this weekend. Both have been “done” and they are 4 years old. They have lived together at the shelter for the past year.

Problem: he keeps trying to “try it on” with her. And she’s getting very snappy with him. This is also becoming apparent whenever he goes too close to her.

The shelter has previously said that they’re not snappy with each other, he very occasionally tries it on with her but it’s not frequent

Anyone any tips to try and prevent this happening or know if it’s something that will calm down in a little while etc?

Any help and advice is very much appreciated!
    Thank you :) x

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It's very unlikely that it in any way sexual if they have both been done. 'Trying it on' would probably suggest that your male husky is a bit anxious. I suspect that they are siblings? To be honest in my opinion they should have been separated by the shelter before rehoming and not rehomed as a pair.

If they are generally ok together then it should settle down as the male Husky begins to relax a little more. In the meantime just keep an eye on them, separate using a baby gate if he is being a nuisance and give them both time to get to know you and your house. :)

J

3. Kato&Tessa

Kato&Tessa PetForums Newbie

Thank you, no they’re not. From what I gather she had separation anxiety from a previous dog, so they bonded her with Kato and she’s been okay since. They’re definitely not siblings as he was privately imported from Romania and abandoned. Baby gate might be a good idea tho! Thank you:)

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sometimes dogs do this out of stress and it becomes a habit . Agree with the babygate or a dog gate (as these are higher )
    Well done for adopting to homeless dogs . :)

5. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

As pp they should settle, pictures of them are a must!! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice