Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Male 8 month (A) Akita humping

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bams, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Bams

Bams PetForums Newbie

So just recently when I've been playing (mostly tug of war) with my American Akita he randomly tries to jump up on me and then starts humping me. Btw iam a boy, also this had only started occurring recently and sometimes he will try to snap at me when he does this I tell him off and put him in his kennel for 5 minutes.

2. Bams

Bams PetForums Newbie

I do the same thing when he jumps me,tell him off put him in for 5.

3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

He's just over excited and not being naughty so no reason for a time-out. Instead of playing tug try getting him to search for his toys, or play tug for a short time but stop before he gets too excited and then get him to do something more calm like searching or chewing.
    It's not his fault you're getting him all excited! And a kennel should NEVER be used as a time out or punishment, it should be his safe happy calm place. Instead of telling him off think what you could do differently next time to stop it? It's up to you to show him what you do want rather than punishing him for what you don't want. He won't understand why he's being punished, you were playing then suddenly you got angry and told him off and shut him away, poor pup.
    Try flipping it around so rather than thinking of what you don't want him to do, think of what you do want from him in that situation and train for that. Make it positive rather than negative and just be very aware of his body language so you know when to break off the tug for something that will bring his excitement down. Popping him in his kennel/crate is fine, but give him something to do like a stuffed Kong or long lasting chew so it isn't a punishment but rather a nice way to get him to chill.

Bams, LittleMow, JoanneF and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice