Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

malamute help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by stuartttt, Nov 28, 2012.

1. stuartttt

stuartttt PetForums Newbie

my 5 year old malamute is about 2 weeks in to her season and now she has stoped eating her food and wont stop howling and whineing is this normal

btw its a full moon tonight in the uk

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I havent noticed any of mine going off their food or particularly howling or whingeing when in season, then again they didnt have many before they were spayed, they have got stroppy with each other so obviously hormones could be playing a part ith the behaviour, and I know my boy used to go off his food before he was neutered and there was a female in season about, so its possible I suppose as she would likely be in estrus now or approaching it which is the fertile part of the season, where they will encourage males and flirt and some will even stand and flag their tails when stroked that it could be whats causing the behaviour.

Has she ever done it before when shes been in season? Only ask because they can also get infections around season time too, and signs are often off their food, possibly drinking more then usual and they can tend to be lathargic. Especially if she is showing any of these symptoms too might be worth getting her checked.

3. stuartttt

only had her for 1 year 7 months the last season she had she would howl if she saw another dog or heard one in the garden.
    my problem is the whining she is doing ive never herd her do it before and shes doing it alot howl then whine.
    ive noticed she is got very lazy wont get up till after 12 noon she used to wake me up every morning at 9 now she sleeps all day almost wakes up for walks at 12:00 17:00 23:00 hrs now if you disturbe her she huffs at you

4. Sled dog hotel

If she seems to be laying about more and sleeping more and its all co-incided with this behaviour plus the not wanting to eat too, it might be worth getting her checked out just in case she has an infection. The older they get often the more chance of uterine infections and things.

Hows she on her walks, is her exercise tolerance any less and has she put on any weight at all regardless of no changes to her exercise levels or type and quantity of food? Hypo thyroid is in the breed, under production of the thyroid hormones, which is diagnosed with a blood test, that can as well as varying physical symptoms also cause changes in behaviour too, but you need a specific thyroid blood test dome to check the levels.

5. stuartttt

she hasent changed on her walks sniffing everything runing about ive been trying to book a pdsa today but its been engaged will deff be trying again 2 murrow thanks for your help

6. stuartttt

but she has been lazy b4 she came on i thort it was the summer and she would perk up in the winter wene it got colder

7. Sled dog hotel

If she was a lot lazier before she came into season and its out of character then maybe worth mentioning that to them too. If you know what previous weights were get them to weigh her too and see if she has had any fair size weight increases that can be another sign and mention to them about hypo thyroid can be a problem in the breed too.

8. Sled dog hotel

Here is a list of symptoms you cen get with hypo thyroid, some dogs may only get one or two from the list others a lot more, just in case there is anything else you may spot that she might have developed

Clinical Signs of Canine Hypothyroidism

One of mines only sign was having seizures and I asked for her to be tested and she was which was causing the seizures. My others only sign was that her coat wasnt so good and when they shaved her for an operation the fur didnt grow back. Ive had two others with it too, and they had the classic signs weight gain, and exercise intolerance, plus their coats were not in such good condition.

9. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I'd go along with a vet check in case she has pyometra which is a serious condition. Have never known Kali (when she was entire) to howl and she lives with other male dogs, in fact she didn't change at all except maybe get a little more affectionate towards us, wanting more cuddles. So I'd be worried something may not be right!

I have heard other people on the Mal forum say their dogs become unsettled during a full moon but personally I don't believe it, I'm sure with three here we'd notice it if this were the case and we never have. Think some get Mals mixed up with ware wolves, lol! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice