Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Making my rabbits like me!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kelsey Evans, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Kelsey Evans

Kelsey Evans PetForums Newbie

I've had my two mini lops for about a month now. They are 3 months old. They live outside in a large hutch with a run attached, but I bring them in every evening.

I appreciate it takes time for them to learn to trust me, I just am not sure how long this should take.
    I have noticed that they are occasionally thumping when I go toward the hutch, which I'm guessing is because they are frightened. They do not like me going in to pick them up to bring them in, and vice versa when I get them to take them back outside.
    They will come up to me when inside and jump over my legs. They will also come and sniff me and take food from my hands. But otherwise they still seem very wary.
    I am worried that by keep on picking them up I am making them scared of me, but I want them to get used to me and to come inside for several hours a day.

Any advice or others experience would be greatly appreciated

2. Corneal

Corneal Shelly

I know it’s cold outside but try sitting with them and just talking, keep them in their hutch and chat while hand feeding them their meals, you can also have them in the house roaming around while you completely ignore them and let them get used to your presence

3. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

You need to be aware that there is no timescale for bonding with an animal. Some take weeks, some months, some years and some never. Your rabbits are very young and will be naturally wary of any human interaction. Any handling should be on their terms and at their pace. Patience and love are the keys to any bonding success.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice