Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

makes me so sad

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Chik, May 13, 2017.

1. Chik

Chik PetForums Newbie

I've just been on a buy and sell only to see someone looking for a kitten but have added 'not black'. why? what is so wrong with black cats? it makes me so sad to see people disregard a cat because it was born a specic colour, i just dont understand how they think colour can dictate what a cat will be/is like. I mean, Astrid has learned to sit, kiss, play fetch and wait. she's in the process of learning paw. she's had her struggles, but that's been put down to previous homes not being fully committed to her needs. My other half keeps saying ahe had her kittenhood taken from her and he wants to make up for that because it couldn't have been easy being shifted between 3 homes.

sorry to post a rant/brag about my little panther. I just felt like only people from.this forum would understand lol silly, I know

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

People have preferences, some love gingers, others adore torties, doesn't make them bad owners.

I'd be more annoyed the person is searching for an irresponsible byb bred kitten than visiting a rescue or reputable pedigree breeder.

crystalwitch, Matrod, ouesi and 3 others like this.
  3. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

I have a few breeds that I like more than others - I suppose how they look is part of that.

I have never understood why shelters say that it is particuarly difficult to rehome black cats.... personally I really like them!

crystalwitch likes this.
  4. Chik

Chik PetForums Newbie

I didn't mean to make anyone seem like a bad owner for having preferences. I get some people may want a specific look or breed. it was just a little like wow, any kitten but no black ones.

I just really have a soft spot for black cats as they seem to have a hard time.

5. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Yea that is a horrible comnent.

If I had a black cat I would call him Salem, I loved the one in Sabrina :)

Brambles the cat likes this.
  6. Brambles the cat

Brambles the cat PetForums Senior

Yep i agree some people just have preference to certain things .i like all cats i have black cat but she was a stray but i would have took any cat in though ..i definitely dont like it when they exclude a certain colour cat but as i say some people have certain preference i like british blues or long haired cats i think its because ive allways had them though .i did see a programme once about cat shelters and the ones that were least picked were the black and felix cats i was so upset to see that they struggle to find homes . Like ive said before if i won the lottery forget fancy holiday or fast cars. well maybe one! .a big house in the country and i could take cats in and give them homes and look after them .

crystalwitch and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Chik: You're right. The rescue I used to foster for was always full of mainly black cats. if you ever look on Gumtree, someone has a litter (or two) they are priced according to colour. Top of the price list white/grey, then ginger/ tabby, then tortoiseshell then b/w and bottom are black. At one time in this country, a black cat was considered to be an omen of good luck if it crossed your path (that or a chimney sweep). In much of Europe though a black cat is considered to bring bad luck. I remember CP a year or two back having a ''Black Cat Day'' as they had so many that no-one wanted!

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I agree with you Chik, the way it's worded is awful. I couldn't have a red cat because I don't think I could cope with the destruction of a red MC but if one needed a home and I could offer that, I would never dream of turning them away. Colour preference is fine and normal, but turning a cat away based on colour is just plain wrong and something I'm sure none of us on here would do.

9. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I've never cared much about fur colour - personality is far more important to me.

That said, when I ended up with Macavity, I did shortlist black cats first because I know they are often overlooked.

I think he's really handsome, but tricky to photograph sometimes! IMG_20170501_184944.jpg

10. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I wonder whether the person has recently lost a black cat. When I lost my last cat Eric who was ginger and white I really felt that I wanted any colour other than ginger and white . To have had another ginger and white at that stage would have felt " disloyal" to Eric. It would have felt as though I was trying to replace him, something which could never be done. Having another similar looking cat would have been too painful when Eric's loss was still so raw.

As you will see from my avatar my current cat is black. Whilst I have him I would be happy to home other black cats but I suspect that I might feel different if Dylan were no longer here.

#10 Forester, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    crystalwitch, Shrike, Orla and 3 others like this.
  11. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I think the problem is that they are too often viewed as 'fashion accessories' with the 'pretty' colours being different and, therefore, 'fashionable' - if more 'celebrities' adopted black or black 'n white cats then you can be sure there would be a rush to adopt them ! It's the same with dogs, especially the very small ones - we're now seeing a whole new fashion for 'handbag' dogs. When the next new fad comes along you can be sure that the shelters will be full of 'last seasons' pets, just as the charity shops are full of last seasons clothes. Unfortunately we live in a throw away society and animals get treated the same as other unfashionable items.

Animals are NOT disposable and are NOT fashion accessories and should never, ever be treated as such.

KittenKong, crystalwitch and Jackie C like this.
  12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I was about to post the very same ..........

vivien and Forester like this.
  13. Sara Hearn

Sara Hearn PetForums Junior

I've already got someone who wants 2 of the black cats in my litter when they're ready....she specifically wanted a black cat but i said if they were left i would keep them

14. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Black cats tend to be the least forgotten which is a shame, I like all cat colours but black is my favorite.

15. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

This is the only scenario I can see excluding a colour being acceptable. My first cat was black. I personally love their appearance and the fact they are hard to home made me even more happy to take him but after he was gone, when I looked around the shelter, all the black beauties reminded me of him so I think it would have been hard. Thankfully a tabby claimed me before I even got down to the end of the rehoming pen so I never needed to make that decision because she wasn't taking no for an answer.

Forester likes this.
  16. Serenity123

Serenity123 PetForums Member

I love black cats, always reminded me of Sabrina the teenage witch x

crystalwitch likes this.
  17. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

It is sad. I love black cats, as they remind me of panthers. People don't seem to like them because they're hard to photograph, so don't do good "selfies", apparently. :(:Meh:rolleyes:

When we rescued our tortie, Holly, she was in the second pen. The only reason I looked over the first pen, was that they were being homed as a pair, and we could only take one.
    OH did not leave Holly then, and didn't look around further. I did fall in love with another cat, who was black. She would have been my other choice. But Holly's personality won us over. She looked a bit sad and lonely, and then was so sweet when they took her out the cage.

(Luckily, while we were in there, another couple were looking at the pair we'd overlooked, and were taking them home.)

crystalwitch likes this.
  18. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Could be other reasons why they did not want black, but black cats do seem to be rather overlooked. It has been pointed out to me in the past that there are just a higher quantity of black cats out there which is why we notice them more.

I have a back cat and she is beautiful.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  19. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Actually...I have favourite cat and dog colours .. Black being firm favourite.
    Garfy was chosen by my son.

I learned to love his colour though!

Now I have Garfield coloured floors, kitchen, even car!!!
    When I was ordering the kitchen I have shown the cat photo to the carpenter and asked him to.match it!
    He understood, shown me photos of his gorgeous cat too...

Now I got Garfield coloured car!!!

But soot black kitty is still in.my dreams...with vivid colour eyes. .

How elegant and cattish are gato andalus!!!

Best in black.
    My first cat was black, most cats we had were actually or black, or black with white....
    There are many countries fortunately where black cat is not bad luck.

I do feel sad too, seeing appeals to adopt black cats or dogs ...

Fortunately my least favourite colour is popular so I do not feel guilty preferring black ....

20. Michebe

Michebe PetForums Member

I love my black kitty, she has fit in so well with everyone and even thoough im not her favourite she still shows me a lot of affection :D

cheekyscrip likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice