Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

major bloated yorkie!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rhiannon, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

Mum has a young yorke which she got from a rescue centre. when she got her she was bald were the centre shaved her matted fur off. she wasnt overly skinny but small. she was constantly hungry and mum was worried about over feeding her so weighed her and weighed her food. as her fur has grown back, she has got fatter and fatter.
    she also goes through massive amounts of water, about two and a half bowl fulls a day.
    she has had tests by the vet for diabetes, blood disorders, stones, crystals, everything!
    the vet has her on tablets at a guess that its thyroid but after a month they are doing didley squat!!!!

any one know what is going on??

the vet hasnt a clue and its effecting mollie, she cant walk far like she used to.

2. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Well none of that sounds normal....I suggest she sees a different vet

3. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

It all seemed to happen after she was spayed, could that have anything to do with it?
    Mums paid out about £400 in tests so far and nothing......and the vet gave mollie a hemorrage trying to take blood from her neck.
    think mums reluctant to start the whole process again at a new vets.
    can they have the test results already done passed over to the new vet so that they dont have to go prodding again?

4. The3DChis

The3DChis PetForums Senior

Hmm i would prob go to another vet too.
    They should be able to pass on any info to the new one so the new one doesnt do all the same tests i would imagine.
    Nothing worng with getting a 2nd opinion at all.

My vet did say that some dogs can gain weight after being spayed.
    It was actually the opposite for my chi Daisy.
    She lost weight after it, and i am trying to get some weight back on her.

Anyway good luck! and i hope you manage to get to the bottom of it.

5. rona

rona Guest

Have they tested for cushings?

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Agree with Rona, first thing I thought of when I read your post and noticed Rona had thought same thing on the way down.
    Cushings is an entirely separate test, and its not on your list so something they may not have thought of. Her symptoms are the same as you would expect with cushings.

Personally I dont see how they can guess at Hypothyroid. Did they do they do the full thyroid profile blood test? If they did it would be pretty conclusive whether she was or not by the results. So I cant understand how they said they were guessing at it.

7. I too was thinking cushings. My friends dog had it and I remember her mentioning some of the symtoms you have mentioned

8. olhutch

olhutch PetForums Newbie

I would get a 2nd Vet opinion.

I would also defo change food to one of the more expensive super premium foods. I'd forget the hypoallegenic's like arden grange and Wellbeloved and go for a Sensetivety food like Pro Plan Sensitive Salmon and Rice, Wafcol Salmon & Potato or Fish 4 Dogs Salmon & Potato. Alternatively you could try a light food, but I woudl stick to a Manufacturer Like Pro Plan or Wafcol do a light product.

Personally i would feed Pro Plan Salmon think its an excellent food.

Changing to a sensitivity food should limit the amount of things that can upset it stomach, but its important you only feed the food as it should have everything in it. I know this from my own food allergies. You can also get Proplan £38.41 online which is a good price.

#9 olhutch, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice