UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is probably a thread about this for people to add to somewhere, but I couldn't see one... and wanted to share, if I'm honest!

After subscribing to the Yahoo Rawfeeding list, and lots of reading, we finally took the plunge and ordered Maisy a big box of raw food from a lovely supplier in Aberystwyth, the only one who would deliver to us and stocked food at a reasonable price. We're starting off easy, with loads of different kinds of minces with bone and offal in (not proper, I know), to get her used to eating and digesting meat. We've got mostly chicken, with some turkey, pork, and beef in there too, as well as beef chunks, heart, and other bits and pieces for a few weeks' time. We've even found out our local Morrisons puts all their lamb bones out 'unofficially' early in the morning, which will be great :) and we've discovered we have a store in our local trading estate that sells meat cheaply, so we'll be going down there to see what we can get...

Maisy is a lot more enthusiastic about her food than she was with the dry food, which is great to see, and it doesn't seem to have any ill effects. Touch wood, she seems to be adjusting nicely, although we haven't fed her her full ration yet. Very happy :D

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
i keep looking into the raw food diet. but i cant get my head around it their is so much stuff to read. i want advice in a nut shell lol

is raw food diet good for any dog/all breeds. and how do you know how much to feed?

G

·
dexter12- Yes, the only time it would not be good if your dog has allergies to say loads of different meats because it could imbalance it. And here Calculate You might have to chop meat up depending on your dogs size. Minces, bones, meat chunks/slabs etc.

·
Registered
968 Posts
thank you for all that i wasnt sure what percentage to use on that chart thing so did 85 as hes only a pup but i dont know i chose right but if i did he needs this much 1.76 kilograms (1760 grams) per day total. that seems alot? i know every breed of dog obviously needs different amounts but that seems like alot of food lol

G

·
thank you for all that i wasnt sure what percentage to use on that chart thing so did 85 as hes only a pup but i dont know i chose right but if i did he needs this much 1.76 kilograms (1760 grams) per day total. that seems alot? i know every breed of dog obviously needs different amounts but that seems like alot of food lol
Hi. If you wish put his expected adult weight into the calculator under KG or Pounds depending which you find it in. And select 2% of weight and that is a good basic guide. Once you start feeding though you keep an eye on his weight and if you can easily feel his ribs you feed more if you can`t you feed less and if you can but need to find them its just about right :D

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Great to hear its all going well for you. Nothing like watching the dog tucking in to natural, juicy additive free food. I couldn't imagine feeding any other way now after feeding raw for just eight years.

Today all my guys had pig tails, carcasses and tripe. Their faves are the pig tails and they are lovely and fresh from my butcher. Last month I got all my food from my butcher, I usually get it from a dog food supplier but the butcher done us proud so I'm back with him on the 28th - pay day! :)

Eight years on and I still get pleasure deciding what I'll give them daily and sometimes just sit and watch them devour a lovely fresh natural meal. ;)

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Malmum - I love that she enjoys it. She sits at my feet when I'm deciding what to get out of the freezer, and when I feed her she jumps up for her food. I don't condone that :rolleyes: but she never did it for her dry food! The first couple of times I fed her, she kept looking at me sideways, as if to say, 'You gave me this, but I'm not sure if I'm meant to have it, so I'll just keep an eye on you in case you decide to take it away.' :) And good luck dexter12! Loads of info out there, and some great raw feeding stickies on this forum.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The chicken mince was a bit bone heavy for her, so I added in a big beef chunk last night and some heart today - she hasn't found anything she's fussy about yet! The beef seemed to do the trick, anyway. And she seems to get the idea that she isn't meant to just swallow, although I was watching her closely with the beef. I'm going to have to progress to liver soon... :eek:

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I was once like you but now I think I know just about everything I need to :)
I admire your enthusiasm and already very strong passion for raw feeding, I really do, but don't try to run before you can walk :) Without even having and feeding a dog raw yet, you've barely scratched the surface ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.