Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mainecoon with very poorly liver

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Leo77, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Leo77

Leo77 PetForums Junior

My little boy Leo is 11 now. We went on holiday for a week and think this is when he stopped eating. (How bad do we feel)
    I noticed he wasn't himself and wasn't fussed on his food when we returned so got him off to the vets the next morning.
    He stayed at the vets for 3 nights which he absolutely hated. He ripped his drip out twice, had to be sedated 3 times for various (which should of been simple) things. Obviously was being quite agressive to the vet and staff and one of his claws on the paw with 5he drip looks to be split and bloody :( was only allowed to visit for ten mins in the evening and the change in him once I had got there was immense & the vet couldn't believe what a different cat he was.
    As he was eating, and it was so evident that he was totally stressed out there, we brought him home.
    I understand that recovery is slow on this one as I've read up quite a bit.
    I am currently offering food every 1.5hrs and as we never ever see him drinking, syringe feeding water to him. Currently every hour 10ml / 20ml.
    He is on meds from the vet and also having milk thistle.
    I have water bowls in every room and we have bought him a pet mate water fountain that he has drank from but not as fussed as I thought he'd be about it.
    His urine is still quite dark but in 4 days, the yellowing in his eyes and ears look slowly better. His gums are still quite yellow. His stools are rock hard still which were making him vomit, probably because of the strain bless him. Apart from that, no sickness which I feel released about.
    Is there anything else that I could do to help him? He seems to be up and down and very sleepy. He isn't cooped up and hidden away in one spot anymore and is wondering around, sitting in his fave spot in the garden. Will the vitamin D from sunshine help him like it does jaundice babies? Or does his fur stop that?

Any advice or tips I would really appreciate. Leo was my 1st baby when I was told I couldnt have children naturally. It was just me and him for 7yrs and he is like my son! I need to give him my all to try make him better.

Thanks in advance x

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I'm sorry I have no suggestions to add to what you're already doing. I hope Leo continues to improve and there's not too much lasting damage.
    Someone knowledgeable will be along soon I'm sure.

3. Leo77

Leo77 PetForums Junior

Thank you :)

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm sorry Leo's is unwell. It sounds as if he is improving gradually under your TLC. I would just stick with what the vet has given him and recommended and it might not be too good an idea to let him stay out in the sunshine too long in the heat as it is at the moment. Not sure about the Vit D. A lot of cats don't drink from bowls much as they get sufficient moisture from their wet food so just continue with the syringe if he isn't eating. Might be worth asking your vet what you can give him to help his stools soften but make sure its something which won't have a negative effect on his liver. I hope he continues to get better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice