Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maine coon

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cat.lover1234, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Cat.lover1234

Cat.lover1234 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I want to buy a kitten (Maine coon) can anyone help me how is it like.
    How they are with children
    Their personality
    Maintenance cost
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Mysha Anjum Sadia and welcome :)

There is a pinned thread which will give you good advice on how to go about finding a healthy Maine Coon kitten that has had the proper genetic health tests done.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/finding-a-pedigree-cat.447723/

As for their temperament maybe talk to some breeders of Maine Coons.

http://www.maine-coon-cat-club.com/

I believe as a breed they are very good with children.

There are a few Maine Coon owners on the forum who I am sure will reply soon with advice about maintenance costs etc.

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

And please, if you get one, buy a Maine Coon - a registered pedigree kitten - not an ersatz 'maine coon'.

chillminx and spotty cats like this.
  4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Along with being registered, ensure the parents are fully DNA tested for HCM, PKD, Pk-Def, SMA.

Also having their hearts scanned and hips checked every 12-24 months - standard around the world but something UK breeders are extremely lax on (if you reside in the UK), thankfully some breeders there are diligent in doing their best for breed but you will need to search.

5. Cat.lover1234

Thank you so much guys i will ask ☺️
    Thank you for your help.
    One question what is the maintenance cost for Maine coons kitten ?
    I wanted to buy a Persian one but later on decided to buy Maine coons I heard they are pretty good breed.

6. spotty cats

From a good breeder the kitten will be fully vaccinated, microchipped and neutered. Your ongoing cost will be the 1 year booster shot and tri-anual vaccines, if any.

Costs for food and litter will vary greatly depending on brands.

7. Cat.lover1234

Hello,
    I was looking forward to buying a Maine coon but the seller is saying she will not be able to give me the documents of mums because she has her breeders number on there. And the dad is a stud and not their cat. But she can show us the mums paperworks

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

She can show you the mother's registration documents (if the mother is registered) and she can give you the documents for the kitten (if the kitten has been, or will be registered)

The kitten's documents will have the names of his/her parents, grandparents, great grandparents and great great grandparents.

9. spotty cats

You can verify their prefix online, to make sure the breeder is actually registered.

Poor excuse to not show paperwork, she should also have a copy of the sires pedigree, hcm scan and other test results. Any numbers can be easily blanked out if necessary.

10. Cat.lover1234

Hi just one last question do cats need to register with council.

11. spotty cats

Breeding cats need to be registered with a governing body, whether they are also council registered depends on what country & area you live in

12. OrientalSlave

Are both parents registered for breeding with an appropriate registry? Will the kittens be registered? Are they saying things like 'pets don't need papers'?

If you are in the UK the most likely one is GCCF followed by TICA. It's easier to be more specific if you let us know what country you are in.

13. Cat.lover1234

I found another kitten
    So the kittens parents are registered and so is the kitten with gccf in the UK.
    They have been DNA tested and all healthy.
    I have seen the gccf certificate.
    The kitten is not vaccinated yet as the owner has mentioned that the veterinary said they don't recommend until the kitten is 3months old so we will do the vaccination, microchipped and neutered is that okay. Should I ask him anymore questions? Thanks

14. Cat.lover1234

The rest are avoiding the important questions so I am more interested in this one now.
    I liked one with blue eyes but it's rare so worried if it could have health problems in the future due to this.

15. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

If the breeder wishes to delay the kitten's vaccinations they must keep the kitten longer. This extract is from the GCCF code of ethics.

ii. All cats and kittens must be fully vaccinated against infectious enteritis (FPV), FHV and FCV (“cat flu”) at least one week prior to sale and/or leaving for a new home. Note: in the event of an emergency that requires a cat or kitten to be rehomed that is not fully vaccinated, the office should be informed as soon as possible. (Amended 21.02.2018).

16. Cat.lover1234

So I guess I will wait and get the kitten after vaccination thanks

17. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

If they are offering the kitten before vaccination then it shouldn’t be a registered pedigree as both GCCF and FIFe (Felis Britannica is the U.K. member) require kittens to have both doses of the cite vaccines before leaving for their new home.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  18. OrientalSlave

Have you checked the gccf paperwork looks like something in the sticky about pedigree papers?

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/pedigree-papers.454267/

19. Cat.lover1234

I checked the certificate of the kitten.
    I told him I will take the kitten after vaccination now he is not responding to my messages. I have stopped looking for kittens as I have messaged 6,7 people they all respond so slow as if they are not bothered. Sorry if I am being rude but it's really frustrating.

20. spotty cats

Perhaps they are busy with their cats & kittens, family, work.
    Not everyone replies to emails instantly nor rushes to get kittens out the door to just anyone who enquires.

Probably best you do slow down though, find a breeder doing all the right things, built a rapport with them and then wait for the right kitten.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice