Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maine Coon

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tanya1989, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

As you'll know I rarely venture into the Cat Section but I could really do with your advice. I am really nervous around cats but have fallen in love with Maine Coons.
    Is there anyone on here that could offer me information on the breed ie what are they like to own etc.
    I am interested in looking for one, but want to make sure I've not misunderstood the character of them and first hand experience is much better than reading books and trawling the internet.
    Am I right in thinking they are one of the "hardier" of breeds. Obviously they wouldn't be a match for Leonbergers size (although they have proved to be very good with cats- I wouldn't be considering getting one if I had any doubt for a cats safety) but I don't want a breed that will keel over in fear if a Leo so much as sneezed on it.

Its definitely a Maine Coon I want (I am a snob, its purely the looks), but they sound [from what I've read] to be very much like a cat version of a Leonberger- laid back, a one person cat, they have their silly moments but aren't "hyperactive" etc, sleep in funny positions.
    And if I get a Maine coon I will want a show quality one (I don't ask for much do I ;) ) and bred by a responsible breeder. I've looked over the maine coon cat club's website and there are so many breeders all over the country (distance is no object for the right cat, neither is price). So I'd also appreciate some advice on looking for a successful and ethical breeder, and advice on what to look for in a show potential kitten.

Its not something I'm rushing into. I'm just starting my research and thought what better place than on here.

Thanks in advance

BTW: I've never owned a cat before

2. impulce

impulce PetForums Member

Hiya,

I cant say im an expert on Maine Coons but I have always wanted one myself and have just reserved a little red silver tabby boy, so I am in a similar position to you!

I found my breeder through the maine coon cat club website - I think they only list reputable breeders, and the kitten list is kept up to date. Try emailing a few breeders and enquiring - I did this and every one replied fairly quickly. All were pleasant, friendly, offered information about the kittens parenthood and any championship lines etc.

Im sure someone with more knowledge will come along soon, but I have heard very similar to you about maine coons :)

3. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

You can't go far wrong with a Coonie. We have always had rescue Moggies. But I discovered the Maine Coon breed about 15 years ago and fell in love. At the time they were almost impossible to get hold of in the UK and extremely expensive. I wanted an outdoor savvy breed as they were always going to be alowed full access (we are rural) and the Coonie breed is a natual.

We finally got our two (Dexter and Honey) a couple of years ago. You've done your research, so you'll know the breed profile, and I must say that Dexter is everything we hoped for. A big friendly teddybear of a cat. He acts more like a dog at times & is just great with our two kids and other pets. Coonie boys are renown for being a bit soppy though.

Honey is a little more 'independant' and aloof. She acts like she knows she's a pedigree and tends to look down her nose at people. But she does come looking for affection when she's ready. She is also the worlds best ratter, and can take down a full grown rat in seconds. No playing, just blisteringly fast Blonde death! Dexter is afraid of butterflies, leafs, his shadow......

We got ours from Diane at Loncoon in Doncaster & I would reccomend her in a flash. You would learn a lot more by contacting a breeder and having a chat.

Our Dex & Honey at 2yo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ian.

#3 Cyberfyn, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    Tanya1989 likes this.
  4. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i have never owned a maine coon,but know people that do and all of them say they are beautiful cats to own,and are no trouble, i must say i do like the look of them, im sure there are breeders of them that can give you more advise, good luck, and let us no what you decide to do.:D ps i love them pics, they are stunning.;)

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

They are real characters :D very dog like or at least the 3 Ive had - have two now - are. We have always had boys I just find them so laid back, but they are crazy when kittens :rolleyes: so if you like bathing or showering by yourself or doing things with out the help of a 7kg+ cat sprawled round you neck :rolleyes: stay well clear :lol:

I dont know about showing but the MC cat club is a good place to start :D

Ment to add they are the clowns of the cat world :thumbup:

6. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Think I have decided that a MC will be my next furbaby. They are so beautiful, I like the fact that they are larger than other breeds too. And the little chirpy noises they make! As others have said they are very laid back, and I would get a boy personally as I like quite cuddly cats! The only thing putting me off is the grooming, but thats because my mum's long haired moggy hates it, and can be aggressive, so it's always a chore. But hopefully I will get kitty used to it from when he's a baby.

7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Good luck with your search for a Maine Coon Tanya :thumbup: I think one would certainly be able to cope with your Leonbergers, size wise. They're certainly large beasts :D
    As with all animals you can never be 100% certain of its temperament but Maine Coons do have the reputation of being very laid back, certainly as they get older but are full of mischief too.
    I would say the breed website is the best way to go as, because these cats have become so popular in recent times, there are quite a few dodgy breeders to be avoided. I believe DallyBanjo can give you the name of one of those :eek: and obviously a good one too, considering her gorgeous boys :D
    Raggs is someone else I would ask. His boy Ozzy is show quality and he can probably point you in the right direction

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice everyone and keep it coming ;)

I must admit that I am quite nervous of cats but everywhere I've read plus a couple of comments on here have mentioned they are more like dogs, and they are big which is a huge appeal (as you'll notice I love big things ;) )

I'm in no rush to go out and buy on a whim. I have been thinking about them for a while and doing the odd bit of reading, but now I am submerging myself into the world of research (I'm used to it with dogs, but venturing into the cat world is a little frightening to say the least).

I'd really love a red tabby (you'll notice that I like red things too ;) ) I've been browsing a breeders website as they seem to be mentioned a fair bit and seem to have had a fair few successes, but obviously I know very very little about the cat world.

There are one or two very successful breeders of dogs who I wouldn't buy from as I can read between the lines, but walking into the cat world is like a completely foreign language and I want to make sure I know 100% what I'm doing/ who I'd go to etc before I'd take the plunge.

I don't mind how long I have to wait or how long it takes to find the right breeder and/ or the right kitten.

9. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

If you really want a Maine coon and you would like a kitten from a breeder then my only advise to you, would be to pick a breeder that has large dogs herself that the kittens have grown up with that way they are less likely to be nervous of yours. If you change your mind and aren't bothered about your Maine coon being a show quality kitten then please do consider rescuing a slightly older old that is used to large dogs the best place to start would be Home Page

10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely consider a rescue if I decide against showing :)

11. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

The Maine Coon breed show is coming up on Saturday 25th June in Lichfield, Staffs. Not sure if you'd be able to get there but great chance to see lots of them 'in the fur' and chat to breeders, etc.

Good luck with your search. I'm quite envious... fabulous cats :)

12. Cooniemum

Cooniemum PetForums Junior

I am a Maine Coon breeder so obviously highly recommend them!

Temperament wise they are just totally chilled and laid back and very people orientated...they range from being complete lap cats who will flop on you regardless of what you are doing to being companions who just want to follow you wherever you are. We have a mix of both - one of our neutered girls demands attention all the time and constantly wants to be laying on you whereas her mum isn't a lap cat but always follows me wherever we are.

I think whether you go for a rescue or get a kitten is personal choice - with a kitten you get to see photos and updates form birth and can visit the environment that it has been raised in as well as it's parents. With a rescue, what you see is what you get and you tend not to get the paperwork etc.

We have got a labrador and the cats are fine with her, as are our kittens. Our cats are also very sociable and love meeting new people and visitors to the house.

They are certainly very hardy but you need to be aware of some of the conditions that can affect Maine Coons - HCM being the main one although most reputable breeders will test for this or ensure their lines are free of it. Maine Coons are also notorious for having delicate tummies so I would always try to stick with the food they are raised and happy on and not chop and change too much. They need regular grooiming as they are prone to tangles and knots in their underarms, ruffs and pantaloon areas but a quick groom every other day and a proper once over every week should keep them in check.

If you would like any further information then please feel free to PM me.

13. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Yes, I have just been looking in my diary to clear it after browsing the club website. So far so good :D

Do you show your cats? What would I look for in a show potential kitten? Are there any mismarks/ colours that are accepted but don't particularly well or are frowned against? (with dogs for example- GSPs- it takes a very brave judge to place a black and white above a liver and white)
    How would they cope with raw feeding. I am an avid raw feeder (dogs) but not got any experience with cats.

14. Cooniemum

Cooniemum PetForums Junior

I don't show my cats, purely because none of them are good travellers and so it isn't fair to drag them out although we have a new girl that we have kept back and I am going to be taking her out in the car regularly so she gets used to travelling from a young age and then I can show under my own prefix.

When looking for a show cat, it is very difficult to tell from a kitten....they change so much and what makes a good breeding cat isn't necessarily what they are looking for in a show cat.

Personally, I would be looking at a kitten with good classic tabby markings - a nice clear butterfly over the shoulders and well defined oysters to the flanks and unbroken necklace markings around the neck. If you are looking at a 'with white' they should have even amounts of white on all 4 paws and then a white underside up to the chest....this is only for GCCF though as FIFE and TICA are more lenient on the white markings (some people say as long as it has 4 legs thenyou can show with TICA!) You want a kitten that has large, well proportioned ears set evenly spaced in the head with good ear furnishings and tips, and a tail that extends up to the top of the head. The nose should have a very shallow concave curve to it with no breaks or dips and the muzzle should be well defined and nicely square. Males will obviously be bigger and more solid but females do very well at shows too and allowances are made for the fact that they will mature more slowly.

With regards to the raw feeding, Maine Coons do very well on it (I fed raw solely for 18 months) and you just have to bear in mind that they need different proportions to dogs and obviously don't need any veg added.

Tanya1989 likes this.
  15. Dally Banjo

Our two get raw trukey mince 1-2 times a week & love it :D they also have the Royal Canin MC dry food which I know alot of people dont like feeding dry :eek: but it is a bigger kibble designed for MC's jaws so they find it easier to chew & it also has Glucosomine & Omega oils in for joints & heart. They can suffer from HD but it does'nt affect them like it does dogs.

Norrie at beardwood maine coons is a wealth of information & shows her cats but does'nt have many litters so there is a waiting list, fantastic cats though :D just stay clear of a breeder in Blyth ;)

16. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Thanks for this :thumbup:
    Glad to hear they do well on raw, for some reason I just can't bring myself to feed kibble again.

Do you have to watch protein levels like you do with large breed dogs?

Do the girls compete against boys in shows then or do you have separate sex classes like with dogs?

Sorry I must sound like a complete novice (but I am ;))

17. Dally Banjo

As far as I know you dont have to watch protein levels in any cat :eek: except when they are older, not good for kidneys but Hobbs would be able to advise you better :D

18. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

hi Tanya here s a pic of our 7 month old MC which we show, if you need a couple of addresses of top breeders then plz pm me so i can help good luck................Chris.

[​IMG]

19. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

I love maine coons :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

Sorry cant offer any advice to you Tanya :eek:...just love the breed :D

Good choice ...beautiful cats

#19 honeysmummy, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  20. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

This is "Indie" our 18 month old mc Watching over his territory. He Loves his Garden, Especially with this fine weather. I would recommend this breed to anybody. :D

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice