Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Maine Coon Vomiting

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kipp, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Kipp

Kipp PetForums Junior

Hi, it's been over a year since I have been on this site since loosing my Maine Coon last year so I'm a little rusty!!!!!.

I have now got two beautiful pedigree Maine Coons and my girl (Tilly) aka Enchaning Juals Erica has developed a furball issue. My lad (Mak) Georgous Juals Grenville appears to be fine - they are both just over a year old .

I have taken both Coonies to the vet for twice yearly vet plan check ups and worming etc (both indoor cats, safe and happy!). I have mentioned to the senior vet that Tilly has a unusual pattern of vomiting, sometimes it is clearly a furball, other times it is undigested food. They both eat Maine Coon 31 and drink water. Any ideas on how I can try and reduce Tillys furballs? The vet has given her paste but it has helped slightly but I thought that there may be anyone out there that may help other ways? She was diagnoised with FIP (Wet) when she was 6mths old and I am clearly aware of the symptoms but as here Titre levels have reduced the vet now feels that she contracted the virus but thankfully it never came to the full blown FIP. In herself she is a typical "Mummy, Maine Coon" - fun, loving and soooooooo happy and the real MUM of the house hold!!!!!!.

Any advice or suggestions would be great as I don't want to put any extra stress on her by taking her to the vet due to the small posiblilty that FIP could rear it's ugly head. Of course, her health and weel being is formost important. Just after any advice really.

Thanks ever so much.

If you go onto the Maine Coon pictures, you will see my beloved KIM who I sadly lost in July last year :( Also take a look at Mak and Tilly, (Tillys the Fawn Tabby!)

Kippkat xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#1 Kipp, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

with the fur ball thing.. when i groom my maine coon i also give her a quick once over with a stripping comb. It has not affected Graycies coat in any bad way. her coat actually looks a lot better

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

and had a quick look at your pics. tilly is gorgeous and she is so like my old girl who was also a brown tabby maine coon called matilda or tilly for short

4. Kipp

Kipp PetForums Junior

Arh, thankyou so much. x I've tried the grooming thing, but both Mak and Tilly HATE the comb which really make things so much harder. Kim my previous Coonie loved his grooming session but these two little critters don't even want to know, even from kitten!. Fustrating as it is but I do try every day and the little ones win every time.

Do you have a Maine Coon now?

Thanks for replying x

5. Kipp

Kipp PetForums Junior

Just taken a quick look at your pictures, I am so very rusty on this website as I aven't been on for such a long while. I saw a picture of Domino, I also had a male cat called Domino or Domi for short when I had Kim!!!!. Lovely photos you have, beautiful..................x

Once I get back into using the site i'm sure i'll get the grip of things.

Thanks again for your comments and advice x

6. Tinks magic

Tinks magic PetForums Member

I have a 7 month old coonie girl who throws everything up hairball or not.

I would look at the diet to begin with as just biscuits is not always a good thing and can be detrimental to health.

I feed Raw 60% meat content wet and burn biscuits.

Getting her in this diet has greatly reduced throwing up and regualr bathes (once and month) and weekly grooming has vastly improved this.

7. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Have you tried growing grass?

8. 155274184824275

9. Kipp

Kipp PetForums Junior

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Please tell me, do you feed your Coonie on Maine Coon 31 (DRY) and what form of wet food do you give. I have had MC's for a number of years and haven't had this vomiting problem before. I am due to take Tilly back to the vet for a check up within the next 2wks, my personal thought is that she may have a food intolerance.

Thanks, and look forward to your reply,

10. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

There are a lot of posts on the health and nutrition forum about food and feeding raw.

Through this forum I now feed my MCs a combo of high meat content wet, raw and, for a treat now, dry.

There are a number of high meat content foods on Pet Supplies, Pet Food, and Pet Products on Sale Now at zooplus.co.uk

Some of the ones in supermarkets and P@H are Natures Menu, Hi-Life, Tesco Luxury (I think it is luxury), Butchers Classic (no additives).

Raw can be cheap stewing steak from supermarket or butcher, chicken drumsticks/wings, turkey thigh meat, rabbit if you can get hold of it cheaply.

Quality dry is harder: Orijen or Applaws comes out as well thought of. Dry is frowned upon because:

1. cats are meant to get most of their water from prey (read wet foods) and tend not to drink enough when eating dry

2. dry promotes a 'myth' that it is good for teeth (this is hotly debated).

There is loads of advice about going the raw route entirely but a lot of people tend to do a combo.

11. Marcel

Marcel PetForums Junior

Hi Just read your posting,why on earth did your vet say she had FIP ? and wet at that ? the coronavirus isn't FIP.

I feed Royal Canin Indoor Long hair,cant think of the number, one of mine was terrible,seems to have done the trick

12. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

hi sorry for taking so long to reply yeah i have a maine coon called graycie, the other problem with them as a breed is they tend to gulp and not chew their food which has been known to make them sick, have you tried them with raw food? thats another thing my cats like and they keep down

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice